espresso cart @ grocery store

sipnsurf

Mar 14, 2004
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Visit site
does anyone on the board operate an espresso machine inside or on the premises of a grocery store? if so, i'd like to talk to you about how to go about setting something like that up, pros/cons, etc...

i already own a coffee shop, but am looking to expand into the next town with a cart. my first choice would be a grocery store or other high traffic large store, but if that isn't possible, i'll probably look at a "drive up" building.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Do the drive thru. The only way I would do a cart is if that were my last choice. Drive thru offers your customer convenience, whereas the cart depends on walk up traffic only. If the customer has to find parking, get out of their vehicle and stand in line they may just decide to keep going. So go drive thru.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Yes true they might keep driving if they have to get out...but then again you would have a captured audience...low overhead on a cart...shoot I would give....lets just say I would love to own a cart inside a wal-mart or Target!!!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
I agree topher, I guess I'm so used to seeing these stores turning espresso carts into everything else but espresso carts here in my state. Meaning carts here in these stores including Home Depot, Lowes, etc. want you to sell hot dogs, chips, fountain drinks, pretzels, or hey and by the way you are allowed to sell espresso on your cart too. Get the picture :roll: That's why I push for freestanding drive thrus whenever I can. But if a cart is the only choice, then that's a good start as well.

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
A friend of mine started a cart about 8 years ago. He did reasonably well as the entire thing paid for itself in about 6 months. The only thing you have to worry about is your location and competition. It was set up in a business district on the junction of 5 roads in a part of our city where people would rather walk because there is no where to park. He just sold coffee of various sorts and no real munchie things but when he took on other staff they did start selling home made brownies. The queue at this thing was at times 10 people deep so he must have been doing something right. As far as he told me the only problem was the mains power ( 240v in this country) it needed some industrial hook up at something like 30 amps to power everything.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Wellllll Alrighty Then :twisted: I understand your point Espresso Outfitters. Sorry if I stepped on your toes :wink: But the fact of the matter is, drive thrus pay for themselves trifold over having a cart location. We can of course spar back and forth about the pro and cons of each. But the bottom line is serving great coffee, having the proper equipment and accessories to produce this wonderful beverage, and make money. True running a cart is easier if in a store location, etc. however, when it comes time to sell the business, which has better resale value. Being in my end of the business, I have to provide options for my customers and get them the most bang for their buck.