Espresso Freddo

dpsycho

Jun 8, 2006
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Visit site
I don't know how many of you are interested but I saw a few threads that were interested in cold drinks. I will try to right three such threads, starting off with the simplest of the espresso drinks, the Espresso Freddo (or simply freddo). I am from Greece and can give more info about how greeks make it.

What you need for these drinks is a Milk-shake stirer (you can find a table top version in bed,bath & beyond, Meijer's, and recently saw a $25 one at Krogers) There are also small battery powered ones that are more difficult to find and are equally as good (if not better since they don't beat the crap out of whatever you are beating).

For the freddo, you brew your espresso (preferably stronger than usual). Before pouring it over ice you froth it using the frother (preferably a hand-held/low-power one) in the serving glass (usually a small long neck). Instantly your foam is created! You may choose to add sugar before frothing or syrup (boiled sugar and water, I don't like flavored coffees) after frothing. The ice is added after the foam is created but before it settles. As soon as it is stired, the coffee turns a light brown color (like that of coffee+milk) but after a while the foam separates from the liguid and you get a two layer drink.

Comming up next: Capuccino Freddo and Frappe

dpsycho

Jun 8, 2006
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Visit site
I forgot to describe the Italian version of Espresso Freddo.
The italians do serve tis drink but don't stir it. They simply pour the espresso over ice. Again you can add sugar before the ice or syrop once it is cold.

Oh and the best would be to keep the syrop in the fridge since you want to bring the temperature down and it is not good to mix liquids at different temperatures.