Espresso, how is my crema?

psycho supreme

Jan 6, 2007
Visit site
Heres a quick picture of my latest single shot of espresso. Ive got a pretty good crema with the "tigerstripe" pattern I keep hearing is good. Comments?

single%5Fespresso%5Fwith%5Fgood%5Fcrema%2Dmedium.jpg

psycho supreme

Jan 6, 2007
Visit site
After getting a new burr grinder and some more learning, I'm getting a lot darker, red like crema and a LOT more of it.
On pulling the shot, the glass fills like 75% or 80% crema.

The only question I have now is that im finding that the crema disapates relatively quickly, like in 3 - 5 minutes, less time if im sipping on it.

Is this a sign that I might have poor beans, expired beans, or that I might have robusta beans or all of the above?

- Matt

Baugo

Nov 24, 2006
Visit site
I believe that the standard is around 3 min give or take. And robustas are known for adding quality crema to the shot. Also old or poor bean quality would definatly take away from your shot. However; an aged bean like the Monsooned Malabars will add a great deal of magic to the crema. I have to agree with Jackson, if your getting 3-5 mins I would do that little "Thats Right, its my Birthday" dance. :grin: My humble .02

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Do you like the taste of your shots? It's about you and not what other people think.

There are a lot of people here that will tell you that your wasted your money on a Delonghi and that it probably won't ever produce a good shot.

I've drank espresso from just about every line of espresso machine manufacture and it really boils down to the quality of the espresso over the machine. Don't take me the wrong way when I say I've had bad espresso on a $30,000 machine, because I have.

A good machine helps a lot, but will do nothing for a bad espresso blend.

mhuskey0466

Jan 24, 2007
Visit site

psycho supreme said:
Here is my latest shot with local "Coffee and Company" espresso beans.

It shows from start to about 40 seconds after the finish.

shot%5Fstart%5Fto%5Ffinish.jpg
Man, that coffee looks good :)I have never tried expresso. What is the difference between it and say homebrewed black coffee, like JFG or Foldgers, in a cheap coffee maker?

psycho supreme

Jan 6, 2007
Visit site
ahhh, quite a bit of difference.

Espresso is the nectar of all coffee and is (or should be) very bold and somewhat bitter, but a good bitter. It should have crema thats dark and redish that will linger down to the last sip clinging to the sides of the cup.

Espresso is an art my friend. ;)