espresso machine choices

coffee821

Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
I'm in a dilemma as to what brand of espresso machine (2 group) I should buy for my coffee shop. My four choices are

1. Brasilia Portofino
2. Conti Club
3. La Spaziale EK
4. Nuova simonelli

I've talked with the different distributors and each claim their machine is better than the others. I need advice on people who don't sell them but have used them.

EspressYourself

Aug 22, 2004
Willow Spring, NC
Visit site
What? No La Marzocco?

They're all good and will do the job for you. The quality of your coffee drink will depend more on the quality of water, bean and barista.
Of course, service and machine warranty are key considerations for purchase.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
I would ask each distributor about what kind of service is available in your area. There are many good machines out there, but if you are down for 3 days without a tech, the cost become low priority.

Also make sure the final cost they quote you includes frieght, installation, and warranty. Many resalers quote prices very low just to get you the machine and are then not around if you have a problem.

good luck,

BT

coffee821

Nov 13, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the input.

I talked to a La Cimbali representative and is there any truth that this machine is better than the others in terms of producing crema?

Are there categories when it comes to these machines? Like a La Cimbali is in a higher category and a Brasilia or a La Spaziale in a lower category?

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
Personally if you are going for a top of the line machine, go for a Cimbali or Mazocca. They are in a class of there own.

The reason Cimbali claims it produces more crema is because of its single boiler system. Many machines use the double boiler which can, read NOT DOES BUT CAN, deliver stale water to the grouphead.

If you want the whole technical explanation, I have posted it before, just do a quick search.