Espresso Machine Recommendation

PanamaPlx

Sep 28, 2017
Rochester, NY
Visit site
Hi I'm looking to buy an espresso machine to bring to my work place to pull shots for myself and a few co-workers my budget is not very high ($300ish), I was considering a Gaggia Classic since a friend just bought one would that be a good choice or could my money be better spent?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Breville has gotten much better than they were just 4-5 years ago, but are still more of an appliance than purely coffee driven if that makes sense. They do offer innovative features, have improved the temperature stability in their lineup, include many extras often overlooked by most manufacturers, etc., but their main issues are longevity and parts availability for those that like to repair things themselves.

The Gaggia Classic is a good solid/capable machine that will last a long time and simply work the way it was intended.

Regardless of what you buy do you have a capable grinder and intend to use fresh coffee as both things are necessary to obtain good results consistently?!?

PanamaPlx

Sep 28, 2017
Rochester, NY
Visit site
The Gaggia Classic is a good solid/capable machine

Regardless of what you buy do you have a capable grinder and intend to use fresh coffee as both things are necessary to obtain good results consistently?!?

yeah I try to buy only the best coffees I can find I live in a city that’s pretty big on new wave coffee so a sold handful of good local roasters to source from and there’s always mail order, as far as the grinder goes I hear a lot of people talking about how it’s really important to get a good grinder but I’ve been using one of the bladed ones for a while now and have no trouble achieving a consistent grind and even manipulating the coarseness so I don’t plan to invest in a grinder

Casandra

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Before buying, I would recommend that you read more on this topic on a website like Indepthguide. The fact is that if you are lucky enough to take a good coffee - a car - just know that the best coffee machine belongs to you and let it be not even expensive but cheap. And in the event that you will not be lucky enough to take a good product - at least you will know that it is not enough in it.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
yeah I try to buy only the best coffees I can find I live in a city that’s pretty big on new wave coffee so a sold handful of good local roasters to source from and there’s always mail order, as far as the grinder goes I hear a lot of people talking about how it’s really important to get a good grinder but I’ve been using one of the bladed ones for a while now and have no trouble achieving a consistent grind and even manipulating the coarseness so I don’t plan to invest in a grinder

More power to you with the 'new wave' coffee as I find most of it to be too light/acidic for my taste. That is a primary reason I started home roasting as I didn't like the direction many online roasters were going with their coffee selections/roast level. If you want something done right, just do it yourself...

On grind, good luck with a blade 'grinder' paired with a decent espresso machine. You might get lucky and get a decent grind quality/fineness periodically, but it will be guessing at best. I'm a proponent of making the most of what one has/can afford, but good consistent grind quality/fineness range is mandatory for good espresso consistently.

icasanova99

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
If you want great coffee from a machine that doesn't cost a small fortune, the shiny metal De'Longhi Scultura is the machine for you. Simple operation coupled with perfect water flow makes it easy to produce a great shot of espresso.