espresso machine

redmoose

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
i need a espresso machine that is large and that is a good mix between functionality and beauty. i would really prefer 2 steam wands and 2 to for places to brew espresso. also a big resevior that is filled once daily or that has a water line staight to it. if any one knows some names or some places online to visit i would be much abliged

~redmoose~

redmoose

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
thanks for the link but i am really needing a larger more industrial size this is for a coffee shop. but i really do like the way those machines look. my owners like the way the old copper espresso machines look. so if anyone knows of any new machines that are designed to look old that would be great

~redmoose~

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
redmoose said:
thanks for the link but i am really needing a larger more industrial size this is for a coffee shop. but i really do like the way those machines look. my owners like the way the old copper espresso machines look. so if anyone knows of any new machines that are designed to look old that would be great

~redmoose~

a friend is looking at this machine for his shop,
http://espressoonline.com/microsem.html

I was looking at the Conti Twin Star - how I knew who these people were.

We ended up going the La Marzocco way for our drive-thru.

ElPugDiablo

There are many two steam wand two group machines out there. Depends on how many cups you are going to make per hour, how precise you want your machine to be, and how much functionality (gadget) you want, you can spend anywhere from $3000 to close to $10000 for a new espresso machine. Like everydaygourmet, I bought a Marzocco. If I started my search a little later, I think I would have gave synesso a close look.

www.synesso.com

Here are a couple more

http://www.esiespresso.com/products.trads.html
http://www.michaelo.com/
http://www.espressoplus.com/machines/ma ... rcial.html
http://www.nuovasimonelliusa.com/products.html

edna713

Nov 17, 2004
SC
Visit site
there are usually several 2 group (2 head ) machines on ebay -- different makes, models -- I know a guy who equipped his entire restaurant from ebay saved about 60%.
d

valcs

Mar 12, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
ebay yeah

and if you are looking on ebay, look for the great brands like la cimbali, faema or rancilio... i bought my la cimbali dosatron on ebay (german), i took it to the la cimbali service for refurbishing, and for 1/4 of the price i have a great espresso mashine :D

Teflon Don

Feb 22, 2005
Portland, OR
Visit site
Ebay

I have spoken with over 100 ebay commercial espresso machine purchasers in the western US. I saw one yesterday that was sold "like new". It is a seven year old machine and was trashed. Buyer beware. Oh, of those 100 plus people who bought, all needed work and only 1 customer did not regret the experience.

Used machines are like buying a car. Actually worse. Even if the seller isn't trying to take you for a ride, they usually do not understand what espresso machine service truly is. Well maintained means they fixed it when it totally failed. If you do decide on used machines, set aside a few hundred minimum for necessary service.

phaelon56

Sep 25, 2003
Syracuse NY
Visit site
Don makes a very good point. There's a flod of used three and gfour group la marzocco Linea AV models on eBay at the moment. They're nearly all coming from a liquidator who is selling off Starbucks old machines because the 'bucks has switched to superauto machines.

You have to bid on and buy these machines sight unseen. If you happen to know the serial number sequence that La Marzocco uses and get lucky enough to bid on one of the machiens that's only a few years old you might luck out. Then again... you might get a "refurbished" unit that has really only been cleaned and tested but is far from refurbished.

I'm not saying categorically that you shouldn't do it - I bought one but I got a machine that was three years old, happened to be in good shape and I also happen to be a part time La Marzocco repair technician. I also have no immediate need for the machine in a commercial environment - I can refurb it at my leisure.

If I was opening a new shop I'd simply budget in themoney for a brand new machine - it's the lifeblood of any good coffee business and one of the specific areas in which there should be no compromise. If and when I open a shop my used 4 group will be a backup machine btu I'll buy a brand new machine for front and center everyday use.

I do think eBay is a great place for used grinders, used stainless steel sinks, tables, chairs etc. There are lots of great deals to be had for the shop opening on a tight budget but use it wisely.

upnorthcoffee

Mar 30, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
Don & Owen make excellent points. We sell occasionally on ebay some used equipment and customer returns that would not qualify as new condition.

Buyer beware of course. If you want a warranty, buy new. I can point you to some quality used equipment if you tell me your needs to save you some money otherwise I can sell new machines too.

doctorlatte

Feb 8, 2005
PA
Visit site
more to consider

While trying to find a replacement for your current machine, take stock of what has been good about the machine you have now and what you would change.

Has that machine made good coffee? Do you want to keep that profile?

Who has serviced the machine? Are they nearby? Do you value their opinion?

Whether you find something used or go with something new, make contact with someone to service it, nearby before you make a purchase.

There are lots of good machines out there, they all have advocates but someone posting an opinion on a BB from the other side of the country or planet probably won't come out to replace a component on a Sunday morning.

pencowgirl

May 22, 2005
Fredericksburg,TX
Visit site
Re: Ebay

Teflon Don said:
I have spoken with over 100 ebay commercial espresso machine purchasers in the western US. I saw one yesterday that was sold "like new". It is a seven year old machine and was trashed. Buyer beware. Oh, of those 100 plus people who bought, all needed work and only 1 customer did not regret the experience.

I purchased all my equipment used on Ebay and have been very happy. Naturally I expected to replace gaskets, burrs,etc. I was desperate for good coffee and couldn't afford new equipment to open our coffee shop in a movie theater. We have had good feedback from customers.