Espresso maker problem!?

richedie

Jan 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Coffee lovers!

A friend posed this question.....

"My new stove top espresso maker makes great tasting coffee, but for some reason I don't get the caffiene high I usually get from a strong cup of coffee or espresso. I don't think I doing anything wrong. You have any idea?"

Thoughts everyone?

-Rich

DavesLT

Nov 6, 2005
Missouri
Visit site
Coffee Buzz

Tell your friend to check the bag and see if it says Decaf on the label :)

But Seriously, caffene is water soluable, so there will be more of it in a cup of drip coffee than a cup brewed more quickly in a stovetop espresso maker. They should also check the grind to make sure it's fine enough to properly extract, otherwise the water will brew through it too quickly.

Actually, a properly extracted shot of espresso has less caffene than a cup of strong drip coffee. But since I usually order triple shots, this isn't a problem.

-Dave

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
"My new stove top espresso maker makes great tasting coffee, but for some reason I don't get the caffiene high I usually get from a strong cup of coffee or espresso. I don't think I doing anything wrong. You have any idea?"

From the information about caffeine extraction it is true that coffee does not give up it's caffeine readily. A shorter extraction time will result in less caffeine in the cup.

As well, higher quality arabica beans contain less caffeine than robusta so 100% arabica will offer less caffeine than an arabica/robusta blend.

Espresso extracted at high pressure is intense tasting but should have less caffeine than if the same amount of grinds were steeped over a longer period of time. Unfortunately using steam pressure with a moka pot or screw lid 'espresso' machine doesn't, by current definition, produce espresso.

Latest posts