Espresso Take Out

momof3qc

Sep 7, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't seem to pinpoint a direct thread - sorry. I'm starting to get requests for take-out espresso. I hate giving it to them in an 8oz togo cup, but what are the other options? Is there something quaint out there I haven't seen?

Kim
Buddy's Ice Cream Café
Montreal, Canada

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Kim;
Check with your supplier - most offer single use cups (paper and styrofoam) in 3 or 4 ounce size. These are good for espresso, macchiatto, con panna, and for SAMPLES. They might even work for a junior gelato serving, you should promote a 100 calorie gelato snack!

momof3qc

Sep 7, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Great idea - thank you! I even have those 3oz styros in stock because we serve mini sundaes in them. I just never thought to look for a coffee lid for them... not to mention I hate using styro for coffee, but it would work! Unfortunately (or fortunately???), in my area people aren't very coffee educated. They order a vanilla cappuccino and want to know why it doesn't taste like the one they get at the gas station vending machine. Although I have to admit that if it wasn't for this board, I would never know as much as I do now!

Do you have a café in TO? I travel every Christmas to my sister's in Guelph... would love to stop in for a coffee if its on the way!

Thanks for the tip!
Kim
Buddy's Ice Cream Café
Montreal, Quebec

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
You may also consider making a stand in favor of flavor and quality by offering your espresso (and other correctly-sized drinks) for dine-in only in ceramics. Temperature drop and cardboard contamination is very noticeable in a 1-1.5 oz - the beverage will be destroyed simply to extracting into the sample cup rather than ceramic.

After all, "to-go" beverages are intended to be consumed at a later time or while en route to another location -- do you really want that espresso sitting in a cup for some later time? The drink will probably be gone by the time you customers get to the parking lot anyway.

Espresso is intended for immediate consumption. If someone wants a "to-go" drink, you may want to suggest a filter coffee or some fluffy drink that to use as their pacifier on the way to work.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hear...hear CM:

I agree with you as well. momof3qc if you are getting requests for "To Go" drinks, then test that on your menu and bring on a few sizes to see how things go. If you find that your sales begin to increase then add it on. You could be missing out on a selling opportunity. :wink: [/b]

momof3qc

Sep 7, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestions! I didn't have simple shots of espresso on my menu because as some of you may have read in the past, I don't consider myself a 'real' coffee house. I'm primarily an ice cream parlour that was staying open for the winter selling coffee and pastries. I brought in a super-automatic espresso machine so that I could make lattes, but I never thought some customers would actually want to sit and enjoy an espresso. Well color me stupid! Word is spreading about our 'great' coffee and people are starting to stop in to purchase shots to go, and my machine runs for hours at a time making cappuccinos and lattes! If someone wants something and is waving money at me, I make it happen - I would never stand on principle and say that our espresso is for "in-house" only. I do warn them that it won't stay hot in our togo cups and that most drink it in the store, but if they insist, by all means I'm giving them what they ask for.

I will be searching my suppliers for 4oz PAPER cups and lids today. Thanks again for all your help!

Kim Walker
Buddy's Ice Cream Café
Montreal, Canada

kimbica

May 1, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
to go cups

Hi Kim!
I agree with others about not using styrofoam, and I think the best option is definitely to encourage in-house espresso drinking from small ceramic or glass demis; however, for those insisting on a tiny drink to go, a 4 oz paper cup is doable. I think solo makes one and most other big brands probably do, too.

My cafe is still being built but we will have a drive thru, and I think I will have small paper cups available for this very request as well. I recommend that you brew directly into these small cups and do not use a pitcher or shot glass because you will lose heat and crema in the process of transferring the liquid. Good luck and congrats on gaining loyal coffee folks in your "almost coffee shop."! Hehe...if you serve good coffee drinks you will find a loyal following; this is an addiction much stronger than ice cream and can be quite profitable if you keep the regulars happy! :-D

Kim