Espresso Tampers

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Looking for an espresso tamper, but none of my local home goods type stores have them. The least expensive tamper I've found on the internet is this one from thekitchenstore.com:
kitchenandcompany_2053_11643883

Looks like a dumbell for a smurf, LOL.

Would like something unique & different, but not spend $30 on it (plus shipping of course).
There must be something fun & cool out there, right?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I think I like it.
Looks plastic though...
Actually, the more I look at it, the more I'm starting to like it. :p
But, is it plastic? I'd rather not plastic for $23

Thanks Pug! I'll keep it in mind.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Well first off what size do you need (mm)? Be sure to carefully measure the inside of your basket with digital calipers if possible so you get the best possible fit. Those double ended types usually won't fit anything that well. And you can clearly see the casting marks in the ends, which will prevent you from getting a really good sidewall seal.

I agree with Mr. Moderator.... looks a little plasticky to me. I say buy a simple stainless one-piece tamper and it'll last you a lifetime. Something with some heft to it. Mine is 23 oz. Makes a great weapon if need be too. Later!

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Hi Shadow -

Since I must have misplaced my digital calipers on my last archaeological dig back in Rome last year, I had to break out the old tape measure. So, it's right at about 51mm.

It's from a basic espresso machine that one of my tenants left behind (sans tamper). I've been using the lid part of a jar of honey for tamping, which works, but it would be nice to have a cool tamper.

Although, real espresso lovers have no use for latte art, I think it's pretty cool...
I posted my first ever attempt at latte art here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8524

Wow, a 23oz tamper? ... like a pound and a half! :D

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Hey, paid no attention that you were the OP for this thread. I'm not a fan of latte art to be honest, but it is neat nonetheless and yours looks pretty good. One of the best I've seen yet is a dragon. I'll post a pic or link for it if I can find it.

That doubled ended tamper might be something like 51mm and 55mm, but I wouldn't pay that much for one. I think the casting marks would have to be sanded down a little to give a firm seal. I have one similar that was about .5mm too big for my lever machine basket. I actually filed it down by hand, then sanded it to smooth/round off the edges to fit the basket like a glove. Alot of effort but it tamps/seals beautifully.

Yeah the 23 oz. tamper is 58mm and is just one solid piece of stainless with a flat bottom. I know it'll last a lifetime and then some. I know some like the type with the screw off handles so they can be switched out and some like the click type tampers. It's one of those things that is a necessity, but you can get caught up paying way more than what is needed for what it does.

So what kind of machine is it? How are you digging the espresso from it? Later!

Below is a link for that dragon.....
http://www.thebeaningoflife.com/latte-art/index.php

espressotamper

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I found a coffee tamper supplier from this forum, this is their information:

Hello, sir,
We are professional espresso coffee tamper manufacturer in China.
We are offering Espresso Tampers as follows:
1. Base Size: 49-58mm, any size is available(for instance, 57.5mm)
2. Material:
***A: Aluminum handle + stainless steel base
***B: Aluminum handle + Aluminum base
***C: Stainless steel handle & base
***D: Color aluminum handle + stainless steel base

Sincerely,
Susan