esspresso machine and regular coffee?

PJfan

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Guys I have noticed some coffee shops using their espresso machine to make cups of coffee for their clients rather than having a brewed coffee pot. It "seems" like the taste is different when they use the espresso machine almost like a burnt taste? Can someone shine some light on this for me.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
That would be an Americano. Is done by diluting espresso with hot water to give espresso-like taste with drip coffee strength. I really like to do this for decaf as we don't sell enough decaf drip to make it worth the effort/waste. Some really small operations do this because it keeps them from having to buy drip equipment as well as making the space for it.

BUT if it's tasting burnt either the machine isn't extracting at the right temperature, the hot water added to it is way too hot or they have crappy beans that were not properly roasted for what they are trying to achieve.

Whatever!

snoozum

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Guys I have noticed some coffee shops using their espresso machine to make cups of coffee for their clients rather than having a brewed coffee pot. It "seems" like the taste is different when they use the espresso machine almost like a burnt taste? Can someone shine some light on this for me.

Is this not how all coffee is prepared? I don't think I've ever been to a coffee shop that hasn't made their coffee this way... Am I wierd :-??? Confused!

As regard the burnt taste, I find that this happens quite a lot when either the water is too hot or the coffee is held in the brew group too long before the water is pushed through (for instance, if you're the first customer in a while).

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Is this not how all coffee is prepared? I don't think I've ever been to a coffee shop that hasn't made their coffee this way... Am I wierd :-??? Confused!

As regard the burnt taste, I find that this happens quite a lot when either the water is too hot or the coffee is held in the brew group too long before the water is pushed through (for instance, if you're the first customer in a while).

There are many ways to extract coffee, at home or in a commercial setting. Lots of coffeeshops use high volume drip systems. More are also gravitating toward pourover bars, etc. Using an espresso machine to make Americanos, etc. simply minimizes waste and allows for more efficient use of time/equipment.

The "burnt" taste is usually from over roasted beans. Too high on temp will cause bitterness more than anything. AND the ground coffee (puck) should never be left unused while locked into the group. That is a newbie move done by those that don't know any better or give a crap about quality. Coffee should only be ground/used as needed per drink.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I have had two or three memorable cups of coffee (not in a good way) that tasted seriously burnt. Somewhat similar to licking an ash tray. Some common ways to experience that taste:
- use really, really, stale beans. Like kept in an open bag for six months, or maybe that way for a year in the freezer.
- brewed into a glass carafe and kept on a hot plate for a few hours.
- a machine or carafe that has not not been cleaned for an extended period of time
- steam being generated by an espresso machine being passed through the coffee.