european coffees?

jessc

Jan 9, 2007
California
Visit site
I'm not a coffee expert. I live in the US, but I discovered during trips to England and Italy that I preferred the coffees they served there. It didn't seem to matter whether I ordered them from hotels or from local cafes.

Is there a difference between the usual coffees in the US, and in Europe? I usually order plain brews, or capuccinos. Where can I get/order European coffee, or get "european-style" coffee?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Your assessment is correct; there is a substantial difference in the average quality and taste of coffee found in Europe, particularly the Nordic countries and Italy, to what is found on in the average American coffee shop or restaurant. There are a number of factors that contribute to the difference in quality, including but not limited to, the blend and roast of the coffee itself.

Where in California are you located? I suggest that the best way for you to learn about the proper preparation of coffee will be to visit a competent local coffee retailer or roaster / retailer that offers consumer education classes. Beyond this, you may consider joining the Specialty Coffee Association of America www.scaa.org as a "C" or Consumer member in order to take advantage of the training materials and resources available through that group or read some of the step-by-step how-to's offered on www.coffeegeek.com.

Best of success,

Andrew

haytoniaho

Jun 21, 2006
NJ
Visit site
Well whenever i order a cappuccino in greece, i get a cappuccino; whenever I order one here, I get a cup of hot milk.

I think people in Europe just know what they're doing vs. Starbuck's kids who look up how to make cappuccinos on a chart.

I'm sure there are some good coffee shops here too, but yea definitely do not compare a Starbuck's to an authentic European cafe!