Ever Doubt Yourself? Here's a good way to keep your head on straight

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I'm a bit paranoid. I often wake up in the middle of the night and wonder, 'What if everyone stopped ordering our coffee today?' And, 'Does our coffee really taste any better than the other offerings out there?'

Well we recently moved house and ugh, forgot to bring coffee from the roastery. So went to the local supermarket and tried their house brand which they tout as being sooo good. What a revelation! Absolutely harsh, robusta laden crapola. I couldn't drink it. Really, I couldn't drink it.

I went back and bought Lavazza. I used to drink this years ago and thought it was decent. What a difference drinking good coffee for several years makes to your pallate. The stuff was maybe a step ahead of the store brand. Or maybe half a step. Let's say it was just crap instead of crapola but I still couldn't drink it.

Got in the car again and made the hour drive to the roastery and got some Sidamo we'd roasted a couple days back and a new Burundi we're offering to our coffee club. Aaahhh, what a difference freshness, good beans, and care about the product makes.

So if you're like me and often worry that the sky is falling, go to the supermarket and drink some of their 'good' coffee. You'll probably see that you're doing great work.

And maybe the sky isn't falling. In our case we're moving the roastery next door so no more driving. And we just received our first two pallet coffee order (I know that's not much for a lot of you but certainly a milestone for us) and it is going fast.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Expat,

Congratulations on your awakening discovery. If you every need some reassurances that you're going a bang-up job, I'm sure we can help out with that!

Best wishes for many years or happiness in your new home, and lots of good fortune and prosperity for you in your new roastery location.

Rose

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
I've got the same experience. When I'm in Sligo running errands I often stop in at Heart's Desire for an espresso pick-me-up. When Tony, the owner, is in, there is joy. When his assistants are pulling the shots I suddenly realize I can wait till I get back to the roastery to slake my thirst. Before I got into the coffee biz I didn't realize how important a good barista was. Now I more than appreciate their skill.

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, my friends always ask me who's coffee is good when I tell them there is this place (in town) this place (40 min from here) and this place (about an hour from here) they are suprised!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk