exploding coffeemaker

Tom

May 5, 2006
Texas
Visit site
I have a Bunn ThermaFresh. Lately it's been sending lots of coffee grounds into the decanter. Inside the permanent filter it looks like there was an explosion while it was brewing. No holes or flaws in the filter. Can anybody tell me why it started doing that?

Thanks...

Tom in Texas

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
are you sure that the coffee is not just overflowing into the pot? If your coffee is ground too fine the water collects and will not go through the filter fast enough and it over flows..not sure if this is the case with you...but I think it might

Tom

May 5, 2006
Texas
Visit site
That makes sense. It's just Folgers Classic Roast. It is fairly finely ground, but doesn't seem unusually so. Think I'll go get a different brand and try it out. Do they have "coarse grind" coffee, like pepper? I'm fairly ignorant on matters such as these.

Tom in Texas

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You can not use auto drip grind in a gold filter...it can not be that fine. If you only buy your coffee at the grocery store use their grinder and grind it between auto drip and perc...this should help.

Tom

May 5, 2006
Texas
Visit site
grinds

Ok, thanks. I'll try that. I guess regular store coffee doesn't come in different grinds as a rule, does it?

Tom in Texas

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
If you contact Bunn they can send you a new sprayhead designed for hard water, it will slow the flow of water slightly which will usually cure the problem