Extraction time for double shot?

ron45

May 4, 2005
New Mexico
Visit site
Do you just double the single shot time OR is it nearly the same? The latter seems to be what I observe in local coffee houses. I did a search on extraction times and got every msg that had the word extraction or time even tho I used quotes. So here I am.

thanks

Ron

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Between 15 to 25 seconds. I really tend to think your times will always run around the board a little bit. Coffee changes and so do espresso blends. Also people tend play with the grinder a lot too.

Personally I don't care about shot times, I am going for overall quality and if that means my shot time for a double is 28 seconds then its 28 seconds. I care about the taste of the espresso. If it doesn’t taste good then I am going to tweak it until I get it right!

ron45

May 4, 2005
New Mexico
Visit site
Thanks CCafe and Topher. I was at a drive up espresso stand in Silver City NM and the guy was using taller shot glasses instead of the regular shot glass [like in a bar] and he said his `shots' were 1.75 oz. Is this pretty standard, making a double shot 3.5 oz of liquid?

Ron

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Boy oh boy, everytime I see this shot timing discussion, it brings chills down the back of my spine...I sure some of you know what I'm talking about :twisted: However I must agree with CCafe, do it until you get it right, and once you get it right, keep it a secret, that way you don't have to tell anybody else... :D But just for the record I say 16-25.