Extraction Time Question

coffeetalk

Mar 24, 2004
Visit site
Hi all,

I have learned that the American extraction time for one espresso is about 15-20 seconds but the Italian type is about 25-30 seconds to make. What makes them different? Why is that?

Thank you.

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
coffeetalk said:
Hi all,

I have learned that the American extraction time for one espresso is about 15-20 seconds but the Italian type is about 25-30 seconds to make. What makes them different? Why is that?

Thank you.

The Specialty Coffee Association of America and most American authors that I've read, not to mention my own experience, recommend 23-27 seconds. This is for a double shot. In my experience you can't get a good shot pulling a single.

stefano65

Aug 15, 2004
Elmira OR
Visit site
18 to 30 seconds for a single shot should give you a good range for a perfect shot , not only the grind, how warm is the machine and how warm is the cup (if is ceramic)and of course the pressure from the water pump
but keep in mind that also the blend of coffee has a LOT to do with the final result, some blend are not made for espresso period.
Yes you can make a perfect single shot of espresso

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
First let me ask you a couple of questions??? #1--How wet is water? And #2--How high is up??? :shock:

Yes, I know those questions some crazy...But you have a number of different opinions as to what the perfect shot is, and how to produce one. I'd like to ask who has the answer to the perfect shot and then tell me why your way is best? Some say 16 to 22 seconds, some say 18 to 30 seconds. I say whatever tastes the best. It really depends alot on your application. Meaning, are you in a controlled enviroment like a cafe or coffee shop and using ceramic cups, in an espresso cart using paper cups, or in a drive thru using paper cups? Because shot times will differ. Most importantly your blends will determine the taste along with the temperture of your water, the grind of the beans, and the tamp in the port-a-filter. Keep in mind one application may not work in all cases. So this one size fits all does not work. Anyone in the art of making great espresso drinks should always be looking for ways to improve, not just necessarily staying with one way. Other wise how can you make the claim that you are an expert. As for me I'm always looking for ways to improve my art. Rather is comes from me experimenting or one of my customers showing me another way.

Just my two cents 8)

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Coffee Guy said:
First let me ask you a couple of questions??? #1--How wet is water? And #2--How high is up??? :shock:

Yes, I know those questions some crazy...But you have a number of different opinions as to what the perfect shot is, and how to produce one. I'd like to ask who has the answer to the perfect shot and then tell me why your way is best? Some say 16 to 22 seconds, some say 18 to 30 seconds. I say whatever tastes the best. It really depends alot on your application. Meaning, are you in a controlled enviroment like a cafe or coffee shop and using ceramic cups, in an espresso cart using paper cups, or in a drive thru using paper cups? Because shot times will differ. Most importantly your blends will determine the taste along with the temperture of your water, the grind of the beans, and the tamp in the port-a-filter. Keep in mind one application may not work in all cases. So this one size fits all does not work. Anyone in the art of making great espresso drinks should always be looking for ways to improve, not just necessarily staying with one way. Other wise how can you make the claim that you are an expert. As for me I'm always looking for ways to improve my art. Rather is comes from me experimenting or one of my customers showing me another way.

Just my two cents 8)

First of all, I never said I'm an expert, or at least no more that nayone else in this forum. Just expressing my opinions, based on experience and research. Also, aren't you being just a little self-righteous? You're assuming that I only use one way to pull an espresso. The simple fact is that while espresso is an art, there are also elements of science to it. Each of the variables you've mentioned can be controlled to some degree in order to compensate for each other so that you can be consistent. Time is one of those easily controlled variables. It is also one that produces the most predictable results. The longer an extraction the more coffee solids you will have in the end cup. More is not always better, as this can produce an overly bitter cup. Conversely, the shorter the extraction is the less coffee solids there will be, and you will end up with a more sour cup. As you say, this all comes down to personal taste. A good barista will know his customer and know how they like their espresso. A great barista will actually be able to produce that espresso on a consistent basis. So I say, in the end it's not our opinions as coffee professionals that matter, but those of our customers.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
O.K. let me step off my high horse :twisted: ...My intention was not to slam you for being an expert. Like you I'm voicing my opinion as well. But it's always fun to get the discussion going. This way we can get the thoughts brewin'. Hope I didn't ruffle your feathers too bad :wink: In any case you're right in the end it's the customer that counts.

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Coffee Extraction

No harm, no foul :!: :D I agree, an open exchange of idesa is what this is all about, right? Hey, coffeetalk! You seem to have disappeared! I'm curious as to where you got your information regarding the length of extraction of American vs. Italian espresso.