feedback on my site

coffeesonnow

Mar 6, 2007
Visit site
hmm not too bad of a site... having it centered is nicer though. I''d actually recomend using a wordpress blog to manage your site. I do with a few of mine... It gives it a nice look with the pages function ;).

GrindYourBeans

Mar 15, 2007
Newfoundland
Visit site
[quote:d7718b5836=\"jlyon10\"]Could I please get some feedback on my site? I am very new at this and could really use some insite. My site is www.jimscoffeebeans.com.[/quote:d7718b5836]

Hi,

To be honest, I think the site is a good attempt if this is your first time creating a site, however as a e-commerce site where you are trying to sell products, I don''t think the site is good enough.

The first impression is that the site is not professionally done and it will be very hard to get people to pull out their credit card to buy your products. Even if you''re selling higher quality beans for less.

If I were you I would install Wordpress along with the WP e-Commerce plugin. This way you can build trust in you and your company by keeping your visitors up to date and informed and promote your products at the same time.

Give your visitors good useful information in your blog and don''t try and sell them your product with every post. No one likes to be pitched a sale every time they hear from you. Keep your visitors informed and they''ll begin to like you and trust you and will be more likely to buy from you. Plus if a new visitor comes to your site, they can review your previous posts in which they can see that you''re legitimate business.

If you already have happy customers make sure you get lots of testimonials from them and post these on your site. People will trust you a lot more when they hear it from other happy customers.

I hope these suggestions will help and good luck with your business.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
Insite

Thanks for the insite. I did start a blog but I haven't had time to add much to it yet. I took a website design course and them built my site from html. I a taking a dreamweaver course now and after I finish I will re-design my site. The only customers I have currently are friends and family.

GrindYourBeans

Mar 15, 2007
Newfoundland
Visit site
Re: Insite

jlyon10 said:
Thanks for the insite. I did start a blog but I haven't had time to add much to it yet. I took a website design course and them built my site from html. I a taking a dreamweaver course now and after I finish I will re-design my site. The only customers I have currently are friends and family.

That's the benefit of using Wordpress and the plugin I suggested. You don't need to know html or web design. Get someone to install it and you're ready to go. Setup a few settings, change the theme, and add your products.

Start blogging about yourself, your company, give tips, DIY hacks, product reviews, etc.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
Installing it

That is where I think I got hung up. I think you mean my web host has to install word press? I am not sure how to go about that. I did put a blog on wordpress but I haven't had much time to work on it.

GrindYourBeans

Mar 15, 2007
Newfoundland
Visit site
Re: Installing it

jlyon10 said:
That is where I think I got hung up. I think you mean my web host has to install word press? I am not sure how to go about that. I did put a blog on wordpress but I haven't had much time to work on it.

Sorry about the delay. I'm not a frequent visitor here! :)

Installing Wordpress is fairly easy as long as you know the basics.

What you need to do is:
  • Unzip the download (using Winrar, Winzip, etc)
  • Upload to a directory of your choice on your host (ftp)
  • Log into your host account and get the database (mysql) username, password, host, and database name. If you can't find it, contact your host and they should be able to help.
  • The installer will start automatically.
  • Follow the directions, entering in your Blog name, database information, etc.
  • The installer will do the rest and your blog will be up and running in no time.

**Important** When you're finished installing the blog it will provide you with a password. Remember to change that password first thing when you log in. I forget this all the time and have to get it reset. It's much easier to remember to change it the first time you log in.

I know the directions may seem hard, but if you have already uploaded a site before this is pretty simple.

Once you're up and running go to Wordpress Plugin database and download a few plugins that you would find useful. The plugins are easy to install. Just unzip them and upload them to the /wp-content/plugins directory. Once they are uploaded you can go and activate them in wordpress when you log in.

Also, I would go to Wordpress Themes to find a nice theme for your blog. There are a lot of really nice ones there. The themes are just as easy to install as the plugins. Just unzip them, upload them to the /wp-content/themes/ directory and select it in wordpress.

I hope this helps.

Shannon

p.s. If you take my suggestion on using Wordpress as your primary site and having the ecommerce plugin added, I would suggest that you backup your entire site. Then upload wordpress to the root (www.whatever.com), run the install, install the plugin I suggested in a previous post, and you're all set.