First Post - looking at professional machines/grinders

charmcitycoffee

Jan 28, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Hello! I've been lurking here a few days, after finding the forums while searching out machine reviews.

I am helping a friend open and manage a shop in Baltimore, MD that will have a cafe as part of the set up. I worked for Borders for 7 years (cafe/cafe manager), but really know squat about equipment because the training was . . . not what it should be.

Now I'm looking at outfitting a cafe and I'm overwhelmed at the choices! I found the coffeegeek machine reviews, but I'm looking at buying equipment for a retail set up and I'm not finding what I want.

I've looked into local retailers, and I was wondering if anyone can give me their input about different brands. There are local vendors for La Cimbali, Rancilio, Nuova Simonelli, La San Marco and Faema. Any stong opinions on these machines? (I always used a Rancilio - it was used, abused and keep plugging along)

For our business, I'm thinking a three group semi or automatic, with steam wands, hot water dispenser, but not the kind that grind and tamp the shot for you - I prefer seperate grinders. I'm not trying to break the bank, but I have been given the go ahead to get good equipment - happily, my boss is invested in serving quality coffee.

Also, any grinder input? We'll need one for general coffee, then 2 for the espresso.

Thanks for your help! I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but every time I try to figure something out I find I need more information - now I'm going to hit the roasting posts for more info.

-Amy

ElPugDiablo

For espresso grinders, get a Mazzar Super Jolly or Normale for your regular, and a Mazzar Mini for your decaf. I have also used Nuova Simonelli MDX grinder with good results. If you end up getting a Marzocco espresso machine, there is also Swift grinder ($$$) to consider.
For regular coffee grinder, I am partial to Ditting, but they are way pricier than Bunn or GrindMaster.

As far as espresso machine, if you are planning a three group machine, my guess you are planning to be busy. That being the case, stick with Marzocco or Cimbali. By the way, you cannot use and abuse espresso machine and get good quality drinks. May I suggest you read up on daily and routine espresso machine care?

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
In my opinion La Marzocca... daylight... Faema... daylight..Cimballi...daylight...and then a host of middle of the roaders.
Rancillios are great workhorses but you have to watch the water temperature . They pour too hot and leave a burnt taste if you havent made a coffee with a group for 5 mins. So you have to flush the pressure out.
Bar grinder.. any Mazzer... cant be beaten.
For a coffee shop grinder, Mahlkonig and Ditting then forget about it if youre serious.

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
jps coffee , youre right, cutters are more expensive but they grind the coffee more efficientlyy.
which means that your ground coffee is ground in more equal particles and the coffee tastes better.
What is the best and what costs more and what is a good balance between the two for ones business and budget is an other argument.

Ditting/Mahlkoning grinders will last longer, the cutters will last longer and the cutters on Malkoning can be resharpened 3 times.

I really believe in the long term those kind of products more than pay for themselves.Your coffee tastes better so you get more business than a brand that the cutters dont grind as well .

We all went the freshest coffee available, the best quality .. why would you let it down with the grind?
I swear by Malkoning and they do have grinders that are cheaper . The cutters do last longer.
Ditting are also a great grinder.

La Marzocca can be over the top;. I have never owned one ,though i have used them and the coffee pour is sensational. If one can afford them they should go for them.

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Just an FYI. We called to find out the price on Mahlkonig's replacement cutter (burr) - are you sitting down?? Just shy of $1,000. We asked the lady three times, "We don't want a whole grinder just the burrs." :shock:

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Which grinder do you have?
How many kilos/lbs had the cutters done?

I think if you hve to replace them every couple of years its not too bad.

Sure theyre expensive but i reqally believe that they do grind more evenly than just about anything ive used.

Sinister703

May 31, 2004
Windsor,Ontario
Visit site
Hi guys, hey JP, I can't believe they charge that much fir the friggin Mahlkonig burrs!!!
OK, in Toronto is the Canadian dealer, when i last talked to him, he said they were 'reasonably' priced. Might want to call him,
905 477 3849 COAG LIMITED
the reps name is Baron or Byron or something like that.

ALso, check out MPE, they make industrial grinders and burrs for mahlkonig & ditting:
http://www.coffeeburrs.com/

Oh, and $1000 is a F*ing rip-off. In case anyone forgot :-D

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Update,

Thanks Ron for the connection. My roaster's supplier must have gotten some bad sushi. I found a company in Chicago and one in Burlingame, CA that sell resharpened burrs for $135.00.

Ciao