First post, opening a shop, need roaster help...

infernalallison

Feb 24, 2005
Visit site
Hey everyone its great to find a place where business owners are so helpful. My issue is that I am very interested in purchasing a monster coffee micro-roaster, it seems perfect for what I want to do. The problem is I live nowhere near Seattle where they are based out of and NEED to be able to taste the coffee their machine produces before I make my final decision.

My potential coffee shop will hopefully be located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. If there is anyone that is currently using this machine that is maybe within 5-6hrs of Hampton Roads, and doesn't mind me taking a trip to research this product, I would love to visit you!!

I have alot of questions and this one is at the top of the list right now. I have to be absolutely sure that this machine will sustain my business as well as produce an excellent cup of coffee. Any help would be much appreciated!

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
I have not heard one single person anywhere besides the owner of Monster coffee EVER say anything good about the roaster in the last year. Doesn't mean that it is not good...

I would either partner with a quality micro roaster near you and then start roasting later after you have mastered the rest of the cafe. or buy a Ambex small roaster and roast ona fully commercial machine rather than the home/pro type like the Monster.

Again i have nothing against them or the machine and have not used it. But I have heard ONLY bad things about the taste and the machine. Whereas Ambex, Diedricha dn Probat all you hear is great stuff.
We use a Probat roaster and love it. I prefer drum roasting not hot air poppers.

oh dream on...you never read a post by ME? about MOnster? Really......anyway I love my monster, or I sould say baby fluid airbed roaster.....Sure I started my buisness with one, and keep it around for farmenrs market and things,.....I truly thinkit's the easiest cost effective way to micro roast.....

Also being able to observe the roast and learn about the roasing cycle without having to know anything, was so very valuable when I bought the IR-3 ( drum roaster) Try having a roaster let you sitaround and observe the roasting for hours, much less try to see an entire roast in pyrex, and not a tiny view window. I really can't elaborate enough that shot of working for a roaster, the monster is a good place to get your feet wet, and have an excellent product.. I don't get Anything for promoting monster, I don't even buy beans from them anymore. I havn't contactd monster for over 6months, and I only offer my experiance as reference.

infernalallison

Feb 24, 2005
Visit site
Thanks guys for your help! Flavor would be top priority for my coffee shop which why I am leaning toward drumming it now. I haven't ruled out the monster roaster yet, mainly because of ease of use, but I found something very interesting today and would like your opinions on it. I found a drum roaster that is fully automated like the monster roaster...it is called the torrefatorre and it is made by a company called coffee-tech in israel I believe. You can view it here: www.delawarecitycoffeecompany.com
Have you guys heard anything about this roaster? Let me know what you think.

Nate

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I looked into the Delaware City Roaster. I couldn't find anyone that gave it a positive review - also looks like it isn't as sturdy as the Ambex or the Deidrich. I don't even know if Probat makes a small batch roaster.

As I understand it, the DC roaster is built by TorreFatorre, then modified after it arrives in Delaware City. I'm not sure what to think about that - sometimes it is not too good to push a machine beyond the initial design specs. I guess the automation controls are added after the fact.

Well, I can't speak for or against the DC roaster, except that it was going to take six weeks from the time I gave them a deposit until the roaster was built. I didn't want to wait and pursued other opportunities.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
YUCK!!! Its electric heat....go with gas....as to probat...they kick ass but the expense is scary and also the customer service is horrid.

infernalallison

Feb 24, 2005
Visit site
Ya the fact that they are all electric has some advantages, but it is a little scary at far as quality of roast...could I liken it to cooking a steak on a gas grill (which is better taste) versus an electric?

Any thoughts on the 5lb roasters (fluid bed) from www.javamasters.com or www.sivetzcoffee.com ?

Sivetz apparently invented the fluid bed technology which provides some comfort (their glass tube version looks interesting) and both machines have a higher capacity which is an issue with the monster (1lb)

Also any thoughts on how hard it is to profile with a fluid bed, it is supposed to have profiling built in, but I don't know?

Thanks you guys are great!
Nate

infernalallison

Feb 24, 2005
Visit site
One more thing...if I was to seriously consider a drum roaster, which I am...do any of you know of a place I could go to be trained in this art? I realize that many of the companies that sell these roasters offer a day or two of training with the sale, but it seems to me that I would need to spend a considerable amount of time with one of these machines to really get it down before I open up shop.

Are there any programs or schools that offer training? Anybody willing to take on a pupil?

Thanks
Nate