First post....question about "to go" cups and drive-thru menu boards

zzzoey

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
[SUB]Hello everyone....This is my first, of what could be many, posts. The attorney I've worked for for over twenty years is contemplating semi-retirement. Many, many, many mornings over the past twenty-plus years we have either visited local coffee shops or experimented with different coffees and brewing methods in the office. Coffee is something we have both always loved. I think secretly (he won't admit it) he's concerned about leaving me jobless and has suggested that if I'm interested, and will do all of the research over the next year, and most of the work, he might consider starting a double drive-thru only coffee/espresso business in which he only has to show up once or twice a week..........but he mainly wants to be a silent partner.

I started our research a month or so ago and no problems with most of the basic stuff (mainly location, roasters, products, etc.), but I'm beginning to have some questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to online AND I cannot BELIEVE that after about ten hours of on and off of looking for the following information, I haven't been able to find anything:

First, WHERE the heck can you get wholesale, bulk orders of custom COLORED cups? I can only find white and white with colored logos. I was looking for something perhaps red or black...not positive of the particular color yet. I first did many, many searches for custom or color custom paper cup suppliers and couldn't find anything. I then moved on to custom or custom color paper cup manufacturers. All I got there were some of the asian country sites such as Alibabi........which I don't have a problem with BUT I really haven't even had any luck with colored customized cups on those sites either. I've had really nice colored paper cups from other coffee shops or seen them on websites....mostly for franchises...so I KNOW there has to be a way to get them.

And secondly, what is a good guess/estimate of the cost of an average size drive-thru menu board with speaker system? I know I can't get a very exact figure, but I don't know if we're talking $1,000 or $10,000....that's a WIDE margin. The websites all want a lot of information that I can't give right now in order for them to qive and estimate or quote.

And third.......is 'coffee forums' the best resource for these kinds of questions? I've looked at a few forums but seem to keep coming back to this one.

Thanks so much in advance for any responses or suggestions.
[/SUB]

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Answer to your third questions is yes... I think so....

1. The most of the people are going green. Most of the office require biodegradable coffee cups and that is why you don't see too many color coffee cup or logo cups but you can print your sleeves and save much more that way. You can find those printers on this site sponsor....

2. Depends on the size of the menu but typically you will spend around 5,000 dollar for your menu with speaker system.

zzzoey

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ahhhhh.........biodegradable....that makes sense. I guess it never crossed my mind that colored paper products couldn't be both colored and biodegradable. May have to consider white or brown(?) with colored jackets or something.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "zzzoey"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. You will find a lot of useful information here.

I hope the attorney you're working for is encouraging you to do all of your research while you're on the clock.

Sometimes "silent partners" stay silent while the other person is doing all of the work, and then they suddenly think it's okay to not be silent anymore. I hope eventually he'll pitch in and help.

You asked several questions in your first post. You'd probably have a better chance of getting your questions answered if you post each one separately.

Good luck with your research.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
All of the cups/straws/lids we use are biodegradable. There are biodegradable, double-walled cups on the market that need no sleeve.

scott

zzzoey

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I'll make sure he does his share. However, he will probably account for 75% or more of the funding and he's the one with the incredible brain for business......I think most of my contribution will come in the form of research (which I love and already do on the job), footwork, and creativity. We actually should make a pretty good team. The only thing I can see that could pose a problem is that he is the MOST frugal person I have ever met and I kind of worry that he may want to scrimp on certain things that are most important - such as an espresso machine - where as I want the best. I've performed the research and learned what those are and he HASN'T. I just have to make sure he will listen to what I learned in my research and not try and tell me I'm crazy to want to spend that much money on a particular piece of equipment.

NHcoffee

Jan 3, 2013
New Hampshire
Visit site
cups, speak with your local paper suppliers and or food distribution companies and they can play the go between on your behalf....broker
you can also go to the Coffee Fest show in NY or the SCAA show in April in Boston. Both will offer a lot of information you might want...and then some

menu board is a moving target.
a quality speaker/intercom headset system cost me just under $2500 for my drive thru...but that was 10 years ago. +/- $2500 is still not far off today
R.F. Technologies, Inc.

this size of the sign, illumination, etc will be the variable. call a local sign shop or 2 or 3...shop it
I spent $7,000 for
1 east west sign 5 x 5 and also had 2 lines of w interchangeable letters very brightly lit
1 menu board 5 x 3, lit

both steel structures & all was installed

Hope this helps!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Oh, I'll make sure he does his share. However, he will probably account for 75% or more of the funding and he's the one with the incredible brain for business......I think most of my contribution will come in the form of research (which I love and already do on the job), footwork, and creativity. We actually should make a pretty good team. The only thing I can see that could pose a problem is that he is the MOST frugal person I have ever met and I kind of worry that he may want to scrimp on certain things that are most important - such as an espresso machine - where as I want the best. I've performed the research and learned what those are and he HASN'T. I just have to make sure he will listen to what I learned in my research and not try and tell me I'm crazy to want to spend that much money on a particular piece of equipment.

I deal with those every day.
This is how I deal with them.
Do not make decisions for him, but make few recommendation and have him choose one.
Espresso Mahcine

Example:

Name brand Price Rating Your thoughs

have him compare about 3-4 models and let him choose.
He will ask your opinion and he will just say, ok lets go with that one....

Most of the people would like to be included in decision making. You can not always get your way but you can influence them by giving your true opinion when they ask.

Good Luck

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi again zzzoey,

You mentioned in your first post that you've experimented with different coffees and brewing methods in the office. Have you used an espresso machine and made espresso based drinks?

I'm havng a challenge picturing a lawyer and his assistant making such a transition and taking the giant leap into running a double drive-thru coffee/espresso business.

I hope this adventure turns out to be a real sussess story!

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Rose: I think it can be done. However, in this case, I would really want an experienced barista involved in the day to day operation, including the planning stage of the business.

A year ago, I had no roasting experience and was planning on opening a shop with an experienced roaster as a partner. Luckily, before any binding contracts were signed, we found out that the roaster and I didn't agree on many important details and basically couldn't work well together. I took a crash course in roasting opened the shop on my own. We are now operating in the black and the business is growing nice and steadily. It can be done.......

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi eldub,

Your hard work and determination paid off, and you've certainly proven that it can be done!

However, in this case, a "frugal" silent partner who only wants to show up one day a week won't cut it. I agree. There needs to be a third person who knows the coffee business...at least in the beginning.

Rose