First Roaster Advice

dstone194

Mar 25, 2020
Visit site
Looking for some advice on a first roaster. We take our coffee hobby to the extreme and roasting is the next step. Don't really want to mess with the air poppers or GeneCafe, entry level type stuff. Feel like we would quickly outgrow these and money would be better spent going for something that will last longer term. Also, plan on growing this into a side business.

Looking at gas or high end electric. Have outdoor and garage spaces that can be used for roasting with hard line natural gas and can run 220V outlet if required. Also, looking for something that can be used with roasting software and do back to back, repeatable roasts.

Considering the following brands, but open to other suggestions:
  • Aillio Bullet R2
  • Buckeye 500g or 1kg
  • Mill City 500g or 1 kg
  • Ozturk, Toper, Garanti
  • Diedrich IR-1

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would highly recommend starting the Behmor and then moving up to a larger 1K machine... half of the 'skill' of learning how to roast well is being able to roast / taste / adjust / roast/taste / adjust. The Behmor+ has a touch more manual configuration which are decent for learning the skill. They are cost-effective and have a nice capacity. My personal path was Air Popper > Behmor > Quest M3 > USRC 12K

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
I would highly recommend starting the Behmor and then moving up to a larger 1K machine... half of the 'skill' of learning how to roast well is being able to roast / taste / adjust / roast/taste / adjust. The Behmor+ has a touch more manual configuration which are decent for learning the skill. They are cost-effective and have a nice capacity. My personal path was Air Popper > Behmor > Quest M3 > USRC 12K

That’s what I’m a start doing and I’m a try pan roasting first because I can’t find an air popper

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
That’s what I’m a start doing and I’m a try pan roasting first because I can’t find an air popper

Honestly, I never found the air popper super successful. I tried at first but I found that unless you can separate the heat control it only came out 'OK'. I had a variac which I could adjust the energy to the popper to reduce airflow but that also reduced the heat - not good. I had the first gen of Behmor and had a lot of success with it... with the newer control panel I think its an excellent machine.

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
Honestly, I never found the air popper super successful. I tried at first but I found that unless you can separate the heat control it only came out 'OK'. I had a variac which I could adjust the energy to the popper to reduce airflow but that also reduced the heat - not good. I had the first gen of Behmor and had a lot of success with it... with the newer control panel I think its an excellent machine.

Hey mike I’m going to start roasting by using a cast iron skillet any recommendations?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Hey mike I’m going to start roasting by using a cast iron skillet any recommendations?

Not really. I never have done that. I would say make sure to start on medium heat... with a commercial roaster, you are somewhat heating the been evenly from the outside in through contact with the drum, and inside out with airflow from the roaster. Since you only are roasting from the outside in with the heat from the pan it will probably take longer... 15 min??? 20 min?? Pure speculation. Check out Sweet Maria's website... I know Tom covers pan roasting.

wstsider

May 24, 2019
Visit site
Not really. I never have done that. I would say make sure to start on medium heat... with a commercial roaster, you are somewhat heating the been evenly from the outside in through contact with the drum, and inside out with airflow from the roaster. Since you only are roasting from the outside in with the heat from the pan it will probably take longer... 15 min??? 20 min?? Pure speculation. Check out Sweet Maria's website... I know Tom covers pan roasting.

Yes sir and thank u