For Sale: Single-Origin Thai Coffee - Closing Business

KaoJaiCoffee

Oct 2, 2014
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Hello! My wife and I started a coffee company last year while living in Thailand to help the local farmers, and since then, we've been able to work directly with 6 families to purchase and import the coffee.

As life always does, it changes, which has forced us to decided that we can no longer continue importing their specialty coffee, as we are moving to be closer to our family from Nashville to Baltimore.

We still have 20 bags (120lb) left, and we are seeing if anyone is interested in it.

We've received specialty status from multiple Q graders, including Blue Bottle's green buyer and others, which is why we are so sad to part ways with it.

More info about our coffee:

Origin: Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Process: Fully washed using a natural water source, sun dried on raised beds, and hand sorted by members of the hill tribe.
Varietal: Catimor & Yellow Bourbon
Altitude: 1,300-1,650 Meters
Medium Roast Tasting Notes: Light body with notable citrus and honey tones and a clean chocolate finish

If anyone is interested, we are selling it for $3.25 per pound and would love to send a sample for you to roast or you can try a sample of our already roasted coffee.

It's a truly beautiful coffee that has been processed by farmers that have become our friends. If you're interested in learning more about the coffee and our story, please visit: Kao Jai Coffee - Welcome

Thank you for reading and understanding!

KaoJaiCoffee

Oct 2, 2014
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Some photos of the farmers, coffee and my wife & I on the farm.

use (8).png30.jpeg10+(2).jpg

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
hello Kyle,
how are you?
I know the difficulties in coffee business, specially someone just started.
I am also in the coffee business as Guatemala coffee exporter and farm owner.

about your posting, there are some information missing, so perhaps you can give us bit more info.
a. when you say you have 20 bags, I am guessing that you have 20 bags of each 120lbs. (20 x 120lbs)
b. Also, I am assuming that they are parchment coffee.
c. where is the coffee? in Thailand or in USA?
d. $3.25 is based on where? FOB Bangkok port? or in USA place?
e. if the coffee is in USA, I am sure that you can send out the samples free of charge to USA potential customers. but if they are in Thailand, the sample shipping will be free or customers need to provide their own int'l courier account # that you can use? it could be VERY EXPENSIVE sending our samples from Thailand to all over the world.
f. is this new harvest crop or old crop? if it is new harvest crop, you need to make it sure to sell it before September is over. then, it becomes old crop and no one will pay for the pricing.
g. do you have any reviews or cupping scores on this coffee by reputable sources? that will really help to sell them.

if the coffee is in Thailand, IT WILL BE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SELL to any USA importers and other countries importers because they probably have bought them or on the way.
however, if the coffee is in USA, you can sell them in small q'ty to roasters (rather than coffee green bean importers).

if you need any more information, I would love to help.
you can post your comments here or you can email me at [email protected] if you need any further advises or help.
My best of luck to you and megan.
thanks
alex from ENSOLUNA

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
BTW, thailand is one of my favorite countries in the world. mainly because of the people.
they are unbelievably nice and pleasant.
I just came back from Bangkok few month ago with my wife.
Hope that you can visit there again.
take care.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I forgot one more important thing.
if the coffee is in Thailand, you need to use GrainPro to ship to overseas, specially thailand port is really humid, so it is a must (unless customer does not want it).
so, unless they are already packed in grainpro, you need to mention how much it will cost for each grainpro.

or some customers want you to pack in vacuum bag, again, to avoid any humidity or other odors since it will be consolidated into a container with other goods due to very small q'ty. Vacuum bag is very expensive. for me, in Guatemala, I pay $22 per bag. I do not know in Thailand. you might need to check it out.

thanks

KaoJaiCoffee

Oct 2, 2014
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Thank you for the many questions! Here are some answers that might help clarify:

1. We have twenty (20) 120 pound bags. The coffee is in GrainPro bags inside jute bags
2. The coffee is currently warehoused in Nashville, TN.
3. The coffee was imported in January

Scores:
Counter Culture: 83
Bald Guy Brew: 87
Independent Q Grader: 86

If there's anything else I can clarify, please let me know! If you'd liek to e-mail me, please do at [email protected].

Thank you!

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
thanks. your info will make it bit easier to sell. However, it will be kind of tough to sell via this forum.
so, I suggest you to contact mid to small roasters directly (via internet search) and offer your samples.
I am sure that you are already doing this... ha ha ha.
take care and good luck to you.