For the Absolute Beginner

yeknom

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
I just started drinking coffee... Let''s see, three days ago. I used to think it tasted horrible, but as my thesis deadline is approaching, I''m forcing myself to drink it. Much to my surprise, it''s a taste that is quickly acquired.

Now, I''ve been drinking local coffee shop stuff for the last few days and decided to move a coffee maker into my office.i The problem is now the coffee isn''t chosen for me. I have a suspicion that stuff like Folgers would likely taste really bad, so I tried Starbucks'' Italian Roast. Given my limited experience, I think it may be a bit over-roasted (and a tad expensive - but maybe all decent coffee is.) But it pales in comparison to what I get at the coffee shop.

As far as availability, I''ve only got access to supermarkets and Wal-mart, though I may get something online if shipping isn''t a hassle. Is there any brand I should shoot for?

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Welcome to the coffee world! My suggestion would be to frequent a number of the roasters who post on this site. There are so many. IMHO, freshly roasted coffee from a shop/warehouse is so much better than any "brand" you will find in a grocery store, which as you learn more about coffe, you will realize, most of what is sold at the grocery store is putrid because its long past its prime. Coffee has a very finite shelf life.

To purchase from someone on this site, after their signature should be a button to their website. Many of which you can order online. I would also invest in a small, home grinder. It doesn't have to be expensive, but buy the whole beans and grind them right before your brew. It really makes a difference. Explore and sample until you find something you really like! Let me know what you think!

malkaNjeff

Aug 13, 2007
Warrington, PA
Visit site
many varieties to choose from - all healthy

I have a site which offers many varieties of organic fair trade coffee from independent roasters around the country. I'm sure you would find something to your liking and it would be of the highest quality.

Jeff

AlisonD

Sep 18, 2007
USA
Visit site
I have a site with a very large variety of specialty coffees. The beans are not roasted until the order is received-we''re talking fresh coffee here. I am sure you could find something that interests you. Shipping is no hassle, chech us out.