Francis X1 Major Repair

stephclas

Oct 22, 2006
Visit site
My Francis Francis X1 stopped heating water after 3 years of almost daily use. It had been dripping during pressing and I have replaced the exposed gaskets twice, but the problem was more serious which I discovered when I opened the case and found a rusty mess. The brass boiler must have been leaking at the seam with the lower head. The connecting bolts and support plate are completely rusted out.

I would like to replace the boiler and lower head myself. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations for finding the replacement parts? I hate to scrap the machine just yet, but am hesitant to pay FF up to $300 for a repair.

Thanks very much in advance.

shikinr

Nov 8, 2006
Singapore
Visit site
hi stephclas

when you metioned that your machine stopped heating water, it may be that you machine's heat exchanger is not working properly and may be spoilt.

and in my opinion, some parts of your machine is not made up of stainless steel or high polymer plastic, which is why they were rusty.

You could try to call your coffee machine's company if they have replacement parts, but if they are too expensive or above $200, i believe it is not worth it at all, because a 3 year machine will depreciate more even with new parts.

There are great quality coffee/espresso machines out there that are $200 or less that have been trusted by numerous customers. Do contact me if you want to know about them or you need more help.

hope what i said was useful. cheers.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
stephclas said:
My Francis Francis X1 stopped heating water after 3 years of almost daily use. It had been dripping during pressing and I have replaced the exposed gaskets twice, but the problem was more serious which I discovered when I opened the case and found a rusty mess. The brass boiler must have been leaking at the seam with the lower head. The connecting bolts and support plate are completely rusted out.

I would like to replace the boiler and lower head myself. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations for finding the replacement parts? I hate to scrap the machine just yet, but am hesitant to pay FF up to $300 for a repair.

Thanks very much in advance.

The FF is not that great a machine, to be honest don't bother repairing it, ebay it as a not working for repair machine and get something a lot better....suprisingly you can get something many times better for only a little more money than a FF.