Francis X1 problem

sven

Mar 6, 2004
Visit site
Hello!

Unfortunately, I am having problems with my Francix X1.

Everything worked fine until I steamed milk the last time. Since then, I can not make coffe any more. Steaming still works fine. Whenever I turn the machine on, the left lower light is on - i think that before it was on only after I turned on the right switch. The temp also goes above 100° always. The right switch does not change anything. Steaming still works. When trying to make coffee, the pump still works but it sounds like it has to work against resistance or like s.th. blocked?!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Sven

Gary

Jan 17, 2004
Redmond, WA
Visit site
Hi Sven,

I'm not a technician and I'm not sure why the pump has to push so hard to get water out of the boiler. But I've had to have the heating element replaced in my machine because I let the boiler run dry while it was on steaming temperature. The lower light was flickering, even when the main power switch was turned off. It seemed like a goofed up electrical problem.

You should probably call a FrancisFrancis tech for suggestions or setup to have your machine serviced. Toll Free (877) 854-4141.

By they way, if anyone reads this, get updated documentation for your X1 machine because it gives some extra instructions on care. My mistake was to steam a milk and let the boiler run dry -- it burned the element in the boiler. I didn't set the switch to coffee brew temp and fill the boiler again after steaming milk.

Gary

CoffeeGod

May 23, 2004
USA
Visit site
I was going to purchase a Francis until I did some research on the internet and found out they have one problem after another. See if you can get a refund and purchase a Simona "Top" You can't go wrong. :D

tohff

Aug 6, 2004
Visit site
Hi Sven,
I'm now facing exactly the same problem as you. Please help. How you deal with it? I called francis and they said I need to send mine to their IL repair shop and the cost will be anywhere from $75 to $200.

Singh

beberex

Hello Sven. This post is very old but my answer might help other forum members to identify the problem here. It`s quite simple to ask "what happens when I froth the milk". The simple answer is that the boiler thermostat is bypassed probably with a relay of some description and this relay sticks in the on position until it is reset somehow. Exactly the same thing happened to my X1. One day I used the milk frother and soon after it would boil the water until steam was coming from everywhere. I believe that this is a commen problem. The left lower light indicates that the boiler is on and should in normal use flicker to indicate that the operating temperature has been reached
sven said:
Hello!

Unfortunately, I am having problems with my Francix X1.

Everything worked fine until I steamed milk the last time. Since then, I can not make coffe any more. Steaming still works fine. Whenever I turn the machine on, the left lower light is on - i think that before it was on only after I turned on the right switch. The temp also goes above 100° always. The right switch does not change anything. Steaming still works. When trying to make coffee, the pump still works but it sounds like it has to work against resistance or like s.th. blocked?!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Sven