French brewing style?

husker267

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
My wife and I were recently in Paris and the hotel would serve the most excellent coffee each morning at breakfast. It was not espresso, but they would serve it in two parts. One was a strong, dark coffee served in a 8-10 oz pitcher. The second was I believe steamed whole milk served in the same volume. You could combine these in equal amounts and it was most excellent! Sugar was served on the side. I'm trying to figure out the brewing method and bean type, but no e-mails I've sent to the hotel has been answered as of yet. If anybody might know, please fill me in.

husker267

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
Rowley - I'm possitive. The coffee was brought out in the same type and size of pitcher as the steamed milk. No french press. I'm going to write the hotel again to see if I get a response.

steve w

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I have similar question

I've had similar coffee in several parts of France, and would love to know how they do it. The coffee was thick and dark, but not at all bitter. I think it's the best I've ever had. I bought beans from a local roaster there and tried a couple of brewings in a press system here in the states but I haven't been able to duplicate it. If anybody figures it out, please share.

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
Maybe it was lots of coffee brewed for a relatively short time. In a different thread I asked about how much coffee people used and was amazed to find the average was much higher than my normal 'heaped teaspoon per cup'. I found 'two tablespoons per cup' a little on the strong side but have increased to 'two heaped teaspoons' as my new average. :)

Aside from the choice of water and coffee beans, the quantity and brewing time also make a major difference to the results.

Wulf

steve w

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Nothing to report yet. My job keeps getting in the way of science. Incidentally, I'm assuming that the brew is done in a press style system, using standard fairly thick grind, water temperature around 200 deg F at infusion, and then poured completely off when it's done.