French Press Machine?

poz3614

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
I think French Press coffee is the best. Is there a machine out there that will produce a coffee as smooth and strong a a French Press?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
yeah the Clover...I would love to have one but I work in the coffee industry and can not afford $12,000-$15000 to put a coffee maker in my house :wink:

Citizen Bob

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I just acquired a Bodum Brazil polycarbonate french press from amazon.com. I also got a small teakettle to boil water quickly.

I blade grind Kroger French Vanilla beans very fine and use 1/3 c per 14 oz water. That yields a 12 oz mug of finished product. I boil the watet to the first sound of the whistle and sit it on a cold birner for a couple minutes to cool the water to around 185F. I then pour 14 oz into the french press and stir the coffee with a glass dairy thermometer.

The temperature settles in at around 175F. I put the lid on and let it steep for at least 10 minutes. Anything less and the coffee is too thin. Then I push on the filter rod and pour the coffee into a mug. It is just the right temperature for drinking.

The Bodum Brazil polycarbonate unit is inexpensive and appears to be well made. The filter slides down the side of the flask easily if it is wet. The coffee tastes like it is low in acid - almost like cold brewed - possiblbly because of the low brew temperature. It is full bodied.

This unit is a keeper.

NB: If you read the amazon readers' comments you have to keep in mind that fully half the population has an IQ under 100. Some of the complaints are totally ridiculous.

For example you do not need course ground coffee because the filter can handle fine ground. Just take your time pushing the plunger down. Most of the grounds have already settled anyway so they won't be clogging the filter.

One reader was bitching about how he would get coffee grounds on the top of the filter because you have to tilt the filter assembly to insert it. Yet Bodum makes it clear that you should not fill water to the top. If he would have paid attention to the instructions he would not have had a problem.

coffeeroastersclub6

Nov 30, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site