French turkey. Need to combine some equipment

BaddDadd

Dec 31, 2019
Visit site
My brewing method is somewhat of a hybrid turkish/french press. Heat the water to 200F in a Walmart stove top kettle. Grind the beans and stir into the kettle let stand 4 min. The kettle surprisingly holds the water temp very well. After 4 min, pour the contents into a french press and press. Pour the contents then through a reusable gold filter into a carafe. Makes very good and smooth coffee in my opinion.

The problem is so much equipment. What I would like to do is have an electric french press where I can control the temperature and eliminate the kettle or find an electric kettle with straight sides that I can run a plunger down. I have a friend that can make a plunger fit the kettle.

I tried just using a french press but I don't like losing control of the temperature and it is insulated. A few years ago I saw a couple manufacturers made an electric press but no longer make them.

Anyone have any ideas on how to streamline the method?

Thanks for the input.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would suggest starting with a high quality insulated french press and use 'traditional' french press methodology. Use your kettle for the hot water / grind your beans place in FP / bloom coffee then fill / put the lid on the FP / wait and then press. A product like Planetary Designs will keep your water plenty hot if you cap the coffee after bloom.

https://planetarydesign.com/shop/table-top-french-press-coffee-maker/

BaddDadd

Dec 31, 2019
Visit site
I currently use a frieling insulated press. It doesn't keep the temp steady even after preheating. I do like the design of the Planetary design unit. May give it a try. Has anyone heard of a stove top french press?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I currently use a frieling insulated press. It doesn't keep the temp steady even after preheating. I do like the design of the Planetary design unit. May give it a try. Has anyone heard of a stove top french press?

I'm always totally amazed to read the post about using a French Press. It looks like many of our members have either perfected their technique or they're persistently trying to get there.

I have never had any luck using a French Press. I've never had the patience for trial and error to get it right.

I wish someone would invent a French Press that is fully automatic, one that runs by electricity so that all I'd need to do is put the coffee and water in, and then it would do the rest.

~ Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site

Why are you brewing in the kettle vs. the FP? I can't image the non-insulated kettle is more stable than your insualted FP.

BaddDadd

Dec 31, 2019
Visit site
The kettle will only drop maybe a degree during the four minutes. The FP at the best dropped 5 degrees. If I don't take the time to preheat it's even worse. I am assuming that since the kettle is already hot it is holding the temp better.

Pink Rose, my sentiments too. Even a stove top unit would be great.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well... I think you're going to be as efficient as you can with that setup. I haven't seen any electric french presses on the market but there are all kinds of gadgets on the market. If you are wanted an all in one brewer your best bet is a drip brewer. The Bonavita product line are nice and will produce a great cup.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Well... I think you're going to be as efficient as you can with that setup. I haven't seen any electric french presses on the market but there are all kinds of gadgets on the market. If you are wanted an all in one brewer your best bet is a drip brewer. The Bonavita product line are nice and will produce a great cup.

I think it's never going to be possible for anyone to create an electric French press, but it would be fun to have one. I would like to be able to turn it on, and watch the plunger automatically go down, and then beep when the coffee is ready.

But, knowing me, I'd also want it to clean itself - including tossing out coffee grounds. Dream on . . . A maid or a butler would be great to have too....