Gaggia coffee espresso machine? Good or Bad?

gemini69

May 28, 2006
Visit site
I just ordered a Gaggia coffee espresso machine last night. Being brand new to espresso I thought I was buying a quality product. I would very much appreciate any advice on this or any other machine within $50.00 of the $300.00 price range. They won't process this order until Tuesday with the holiday. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

mrgnomer

Jan 22, 2006
Canada
Visit site
gemini69 said:
I just ordered a Gaggia coffee espresso machine last night. Being brand new to espresso I thought I was buying a quality product. I would very much appreciate any advice on this or any other machine within $50.00 of the $300.00 price range. They won't process this order until Tuesday with the holiday. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

At that price range the Starbuck's Barista and the Gaggia machines are pretty much what most people recommend as capable machines. You'll always get what you pay for and I believe the Gaggia machines at that price range don't have 3 way valves and use aluminum boilers with intergrated heating elements. Aluminum can corrode more quickly than other materials like brass and having the heating elements as part of the boiler means you'll have to replace the boiler if an element should go. No 3 way valve means that you won't be able to unlock you're portafilter right after pulling a shot until the pressure eases off or you'll get a sneeze of grounds flying out.

If you spend more you'll get more of a machine. The Rancilio Silvia is a few hundred more but for the extra money you'll get a machine with a lot of commercial grade parts that makes for a durable and reliable piece of equipment.

HX machines are even more money but you'll get control over pump pressure, control over boiler pressure, guages to give you essential feed back on espresso brewing and a quality machine designed to pull good espresso reliably and consistently without compromise for the sake of retail cost.