GenX coffee

valcs

Mar 12, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
I have ordered coffee from Gen-X. It came very promptly but the green beans smell "soapy/papery" and not "fresh and grassy" does anyone have similar experience? I bought 8 different coffees and all of them have the same problem.

C

coffeeloverlisa

I see you have been asking this exact question on other sites like CoffeeGeek.com. Did this company step on your foot or what?

Now, I do see that once you get into the site, the thing crashes and the prices are too good to be true and there is no way you can get decent coffee for what they are selling it for. As well, what is with the DP, and other mysterious acronyms?

Here is a site that really blasts them

http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/v ... ad_id=1659

Now I truly believe that you have to like your own suppliers and as a coffee company owner, I hope no one is doing to me what you are doing. I try to take care of folks as I am sure others here with customers do.

But hey, that's business.

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
Site worked fine for me. Their prices are for Green Coffee & look pretty normal to me. DP - Dry Process, WP - Wet Process. Pretty common green coffee nomenclature. So who is blasting them at Homeroasters? That link had nothing bad to say about them.

TheCoffeeAdventures

Apr 21, 2010
Sarasota, FL
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily worry about the smell unless after roasting/resting the coffee beans tasted odd.

I'd like to hear back after you've roasted and brewed a cup to see if maybe the green beans just had a weird smell.

valcs

Mar 12, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
@coffeeloverlisa: yes they did... but that is a story for later. for now I want to find out what is with those beans...

I asked it here and on coffeegeek, the 2 coffee forums I used in the past.

I had my coffee company back in Europe. I don't know all the bean suppliers yet (now i roast only home for personal use). I use sweet marias (excellent beans), I bought from U-Roast them (very good beans) and Gen-X (no comment yet, although I am 70% sure what happened). I am also planning to order from Captain's Coffee, but they are closed until October 28th.

The price at Gen-X is nothing special. It is a bit cheaper then other places but not that significantly.But shipping! At Gen-X I really liked the shipping. It is cheap and fast. Now the beans... I will let you know.

C

coffeeloverlisa

ok i have to settle down and apologize... i did not realize that the beans were green.

and as for the acronyms, i am just a plain moron, but a legend at the bottom would be good for those of us who do not roast.

carry on friends and do debate freely of course

sorry for the all lower case i spilled coffee on my keyboard...

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
valcs said:
I don't know all the bean suppliers yet (now i roast only home for personal use). I use sweet marias (excellent beans), I bought from U-Roast them (very good beans) and Gen-X (no comment yet, although I am 70% sure what happened). I am also planning to order from Captain's Coffee, but they are closed until October 28th.quote]

I get the majority of my greens from Sweet Marias, some from the Green Coffee Buyers Club & I recently bought 5lbs of Yemen Sanani from Captain's Coffee. CC provided excellent service & I was very happy with the greens. Typical Sanani, looks like floor sweepings/makes excellent S/O espresso. Packaged in 1 lb bags & they even included a free 167g. sample of their Bali Blue Moon greens.

valcs

Mar 12, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
topher: Ethiopia harrar and Java Kajumas look faded to me. At least comparing to other coffees. I have ordered a UV light and I will run them through it in order to detect other issues. I might post pictures if you are interested.

valcs

Mar 12, 2004
CA, USA
Visit site
ok so here are the results:

1. good news - after some time the smell is gone (3-4 weeks)
2. bad news - after the "attitude" of the Gen-X repr. I decided to look deeper into the beans. I have noticed that Java Kayumas and Etiopia Harrar had pale color comparing to other green beans and light edges. They went towards the color of "fermented" beans like f.e. Monsoon Malabar. So I purchased UV light and looked into beans closer. There were plenty of places where the beans were "illuminating" which is a sign of a damage. It seems that these beans were processed badly. Most likely the drying was the cause or they are simply too old. And that explains the smell too. Cupping Java Kayumas convinced me that these coffees are not ok. Strongly fermented flavor, totally off. Ended up in the garbage can.

Morav

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Gen-X-Coffee are strange

ok so here are the results:

1. good news - after some time the smell is gone (3-4 weeks)
2. bad news - after the "attitude" of the Gen-X repr. I decided to look deeper into the beans. I have noticed that Java Kayumas and Etiopia Harrar had pale color comparing to other green beans and light edges. They went towards the color of "fermented" beans like f.e. Monsoon Malabar. So I purchased UV light and looked into beans closer. There were plenty of places where the beans were "illuminating" which is a sign of a damage. It seems that these beans were processed badly. Most likely the drying was the cause or they are simply too old. And that explains the smell too. Cupping Java Kayumas convinced me that these coffees are not ok. Strongly fermented flavor, totally off. Ended up in the garbage can.

Gen-X is a peculiar company. They won't send green beans to Hawaii, saying it's illegal to do so. When I challenged them on this (I have ordered green beans from plenty of other companies on the mainland and suspect Gen-X just doesn't want to expend any extra effort or postage sending to Hawaii) the Gen-X rep got all snotty and told me off like I'm an ignorant a-hole for daring to contradict them, and told me all those other companies are breaking the law. Gen-X will not be in business much longer I suppose. Certainly they won't be getting any of mine.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Morav...sorry mate. Took this from Sweet Maria's website..
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Restrictions on Shipping Green Coffee to Hawaii
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unfortunately, we can not ship green coffee to Hawaii. All green, unroasted coffee shipped to the State of Hawaii is subject to restriction. A permit issued by the Dept. of Agriculture is required and shipments must be "...subjected to methyl bromide treatment or other non-chemical treatment such as heat."[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We are not going to gas our coffee with methyl bromide. It just is not possible for us to do this for each individual order. We will continue to sell equipment, supplies and roasted coffee to Hawaii. Although we are aware of this rule and will abide by it, we do not have an automated way to exclude green coffee orders from Hawaii, and may not catch every order.[/FONT]