Get starbucks tasting coffee at home

[email protected]

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
This is my first post..i know go ahead and laugh that i actually like the taste of starbucks, but i do none the less.
I love the strong bold tatse of starbucks when i buy it at their stores..so at home i buy whole bean starbucks(itallion roast is my favorite) i even grind it right before and use a bunn brewer, but no matter what i can never get the same taste..never. i use the exact measurements the bag says: 2 tbl. spoons of coffee/6 oz. of water. it just dosent work ou it never has that strong very apparent taste of starbucks like when i buy it at their stores...why? thanks alot

LoveJava

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Is it possible that they brew a different ratio of beans to water in the store than they put on the bag? I can't think of necessarily why they'd do this but I know other places I have been for coffee brews it much differently in the store. Just an idea - maybe ask the next time you're in a store or play around at home...

3ternal

Mar 22, 2007
Seattle, WA
Visit site
I'm seriously getting sick of the sbux thrashing, it's a preference of taste. I buy it alongside MANY different varieties... and I dare you to challenge my knowledge or coffee background...

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Challenge your knowledge??? Whatever! I will give Howard Schultz alot of credit for bringing specialty coffee to the mainstream, but how can you possibly give praise to their $2 shots, $5 lattes and over roasted beans??? Forums like these are about helping others and letting your opinions be known. If you don't like it don't read it.

In all seriousness, if any of you want great roasted beans that don't taste like charcoal buy from Intelligentsia, Metropolis, Counter Culture or any of the other specialty roasters out there that are proud of what they have to offer and it shows. Later!

coffeebuzz

Sep 27, 2007
Ireland
Visit site
Please, please don't get obsessed with Starbucks. Their coffee is far from perfect. It's just a load of very good marketing. You'll find plenty of better alternatives. Just have a look at the advice posted by some of this forum's "seniors" and I guarantee you won't go far wrong.

Apologies to those I called "seniors", but having followed your suggestions on a fairly regular basis, I'm really enjoying what I'm drinking.......Thanks to you all!!! :grin:

3ternal

Mar 22, 2007
Seattle, WA
Visit site
$2 shots and $5 latte's? I don't know the prices in your area, but 99% of the coffee houses in my area (seattle) are in that price range.

I love how I said that it's a preference of taste and now I'm obsessed with it. I grab a bag of Italian roast every once in a while, alongside my Cafe Umbria and Zeitgeist beans.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
coffeebuzz said:
Please, please don't get obsessed with Starbucks. Their coffee is far from perfect. It's just a load of very good marketing. You'll find plenty of better alternatives. Just have a look at the advice posted by some of this forum's "seniors" and I guarantee you won't go far wrong.

Apologies to those I called "seniors", but having followed your suggestions on a fairly regular basis, I'm really enjoying what I'm drinking.......Thanks to you all!!! :grin:

Couldn't have said it better myself! Like I said, I think Charbux got people to think about all the things that could be done with coffee, but there are too many good machines, grinders, beans, etc. available to buy their overpriced crap. Just my thoughts. Later!

Anne Marie

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
A newbie jumping in here, so I apologize if I don't know if some of this has been discussed before.

I am in no way a coffee expert. I have my likes, my dislikes, but I think that the appeal of Starbucks (or java joz or caribou or seattles best, etc) is more about the ambiance than the coffee itself.

Yes, they are a marketing machine -- but if you don't live in a bigger city that offers lots of coffee house choices, SB is the only one (and yeah, I know they're on every street corner, in every Target, and even showing up in the middle of nowhere like traveller rest stops!). To those of us in somewhat rural areas, SB offers a bit of an indulgence, an opportunity to try new coffee flavors and blendings, a place to meet with clients for a more socially acceptable drink, a chance for moms to shed their mom persona for a moment and feel a little metropolitan, ... if I had time I bet I could list 50 things the SB experience offers that have nothing to do with the coffee itself.

So to answer the op, I'm not sure I'd want to make SB at home. Even if I was given a year's worth of the most exquisite roasts to make at home, you'd still find me at the local SB at least once every week or so.