Gloria Jeans Gourmet Coffees

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
Was in the Westminster, California mall today and spotted Gloria Jean's Cofee store but was in too much of a rush to check it out. How is Gloria Jeans, seems on google I find a big .au site and also their .com trailing under it. Any history on this gourmet coffee, has it been around long in the United States?

Is it also a coffee shop or just a coffee store? This is the first I've seen this name around but from their site it seems to have settled in malls throughout the states.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
They have been around for a long time...It used to be owned by the same guy who used to own brothers coffee...last time I was in a Gloria jeans I was not that impressed...the coffee was flat...could have been a fluke though...

Read a Latte

Feb 28, 2004
Visit site
Yuck

I live in IL and there is a gloria jeans in the mall .....i would be better off going to the gas station all syrup and no coffee.....it was also dirty. gloria jeans has been around a long time but they don't seem to be able to keep up with the times...kind of like jordache was once big but now it seems to have faded away..... [/b]

Ripstar

Apr 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
Gloria Jeans is the biggest Coffee Franchise here in Australia! they actually have a really good reputation... although i feel it is more the fact that they are the first (Franchise) to hit our shores as opposed to the fact that they sell great Coffee.

and, while the Coffee is good (not great i must add), i find that each time i visit there is a different flavour to it. (to me) this is due to the temp', as mostly the coffee is served too hot (is there anything worse?) and all the taste-buds on my tongue are killed off! so much so that i cant taste my coffee the following morning, let alone the cup i just purchased!

still, they are really popular with the average joe Coffee drinker.

Starbucks are slowly making their way into the aussie market and it will be interesting to see how they compare to the already established GJeans. usually the market leader is the one first onto the scene (as it takes years to catch up) but Starbucks are big and Aussies are Franchise mad... so i cant wait to see the competition heat up (but not too hot Gloria! :x ).

Rip

Hi Rip, interesting post. I guess that means you guys are a little bit behind your bro's from accross the ditch. Starbucks has been there for sometime. In NZ its owned by the Restaurants Brand group (KFC, Pizza Hut....etc). I don't know about in Sydney, but I think that the big franchise companies would struggle against the independents in places like Melbourne. I used to travel there from Wellington on a pretty regular basis and found the selection of great coffees in Melbourne a refreshing change from Wellington at that time (...before I get shot by a fellow NZ'er it was 12 years ago and there were a couple of excellent local roasters- L'affaire and Havana Coffee Works!!). Anyway I now live in Indonesia and the franchise crowd have arrived enmasse here over the last 18 months or so. Dome was the first, followed by Starbucks,Coffee bean and tea leaf,Gloria Jeans, Cuppa Cino and some others. It will be interesting to see how they go here.....but I'am happy. Its like coffee101....these companies through their big marketing budgets bring a whole new crowd into the coffee market. Alun

Ripstar

Apr 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
thanks AlunE :wink:

yeah i have been to NZ (a while ago) and had some Starbucks. seems strange that they hit your skinny little island before ours dont ya think? :D

i agree that Melbourne will keep it's independence, to a large extent anyway. they have some great Restaurants and Coffee joints down there, and the city has a unique class about it... relatively untouched by the corporate giants and franchising.

Sydney on the other hand has room for everyone though, and is in constant change. plus, most Franchises come straight off the plane to Sydney because its Aust's most populated city, and is normally the first target they hit (makes sense too :) ).

not that it matters, but isnt KFC, Pizza Hut owned and operated by Yum! Restaurants International?

where are you drinking most these days in Indonesia? whats your favourite place to get your fix?

Hey Rip, not surprisingly the Kiwi's were a little different from the rest of the world (aren't we always). Prior to the early 1990's Pizza Hut was owned by a master franchisee in NZ. Pepsi-Co (now YUM!) purchased it back and grouped it alongside KFC. Pepsi floated the company in NZ in the late 1990's and the Restaurant Brands NZ division is a sub-franchise of sorts from the rest of YUM! network..... hehehe... I am sure YUM! around the rest of the world would love to get their hands on Star :grin: bucks

re: my favourite place to get a fix it is surely my place! We are located in the hills outside of smog ridden Jakarta in a place called Bukit Sentul. Its a nice place to be roasting and most days it is blue sky, heat and a late afternoon thunder shower. My favourite bean is our Java Village Arabica... its in my cup as I type. :-D

Ripstar

Apr 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Hey Rip, not surprisingly the Kiwi's were a little different from the rest of the world (aren't we always).
true that Al! :lol:

Alun_evans said:
re: my favourite place to get a fix it is surely my place! We are located in the hills outside of smog ridden Jakarta in a place called Bukit Sentul. Its a nice place to be roasting and most days it is blue sky, heat and a late afternoon thunder shower. My favourite bean is our Java Village Arabica... its in my cup as I type. :-D
well i envy you buddy! congrats on having yer own shop and doing something you love. i will be there one day (gimme 12-18 months) living the same dream with my own store. well i have the dream... just dont have the reality yet.

also, my brother travels a lot (i mean a real lot!). what is the name of your shop as he has been to Jakarta many times and very recently (not sure exactly when but he gets clothing made in Jakarta... he has his own label). i doubt i will be there any time soon but i'd like to pass on the info so he can pay a visit to say g'day and bring back some info about your place/coffee.

cheers

Rip

EspressoOutfitters has hit on something here. In the old days a business was built from bricks and mortar.....these days it is STILL built from bricks and mortar (albeit much more expensive brick!). The WWW is a tool, but the results you get from searching for a product such as "green coffee beans" can indeed be manipulated. I am no expert, but I believe that site owners can buy their way up the ranking on most search engines.
My opinion is the same as EO's... judge compnaies by reputation, service and the comments of their exosting clients.

~Velvet Darkness~

Apr 16, 2004
SW-US
Visit site
What a cute "little meghead" Rip! :) I really like the "Mint Chocolate Bomb" at Gloria Jeans. Yes, I know that is blasphemy as it is not made with anything freshly brewed or timed. I tried a latte there once and was not at all impressed. The espresso was very bitter though I do think it was the employees fault for giving me 25-30 second shots.