Good Coffee Books

TukgaeExports

Jun 23, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Visit site
Hi all,

I am sure that this has already been covered somewhere on these forums but when I used the search function then it didn't pull anything up...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some good books on coffee? I want all processes, from the farming and growing, to the roasting, to the actual making of the coffee. I am currently studying hands on at the farms/roasters etc but I am after some reading material to back my knowledge up too.

Better if it's some well known books as English books can be a little tricky to get hold of here in Thailand but I can always order it in I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Gareth

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site

TukgaeExports

Jun 23, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I have of course been reading up on here and on other websites to learn more but was looking for a little bedtime reading also. Don't want to be glued to my laptop all of the time...

Thank-you, I will check them out :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Was looking for a little bedtime reading also. Don't want to be glued to my laptop all of the time...

I know what you mean. I would much rather read a book instead of a computer screen.

Where are you in the process? Are you a beginner who wants to understand the origin of coffee, or have you progressed further?

Blue Bottle "Craft of Coffee" is a good choice for a start. It has plenty of interesting things to keep you busy reading for a while. It also has recipes at the back of the book, which you can either look through or skip over.

If you're looking for some history of the progression of coffee: "Uncommon Grounds - The History of Coffee and How it Transformed the World" by Mark Pendergrast is a good choice. I enjoyed reading that one too.

I recently bought "Bean Business Basics" - 3rd Edition (I bought it "used" on Amazon, and it looks like it's brand new). I haven't had time to read it, but it looks like there is some very interesting stuff in the book.

Rose

TukgaeExports

Jun 23, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Visit site
Yes, also when travelling then it is great to sit back with a book to relax with too.

I am not sure where I would place myself now. I was a beginner not too long ago for sure but now I have been doing a lot of studying and hands - on work both at the farm and at the roasters themselves. I still have a lot more to learn though! I understand about the whole process of coffee now (I still want to read up on this a little) but I need to study more into the cultural aspects as well as the business side too.

OK, thank - you. I will see if I can get hold of those and they should keep me busy for a while!

Goast2

Jun 28, 2021
UK
Visit site
You can read "The World Atlas of Coffee" a very interesting book. It's just what you need if you want to learn a lot more about coffee, especially if you do it with the pleasure of brewing a fragrant cup. At least that's what I used to do in the mornings, brew my coffee, grab my phone, and then sit in my chair and start reading this book that I downloaded on thepiratesbay, that's the secret to enjoyment.

Last edited:

danielmeyers

Oct 11, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Visit site
Hi all,

I am sure that this has already been covered somewhere on these forums but when I used the search function then it didn't pull anything up...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some good books on coffee? I want all processes, from the farming and growing, to the roasting, to the actual making of the coffee. I am currently studying hands on at the farms/roasters etc but I am after some reading material to back my knowledge up too.

Better if it's some well known books as English books can be a little tricky to get hold of here in Thailand but I can always order it in I guess. Sometimes such books can be ordered through essay delivery at https://writemypapers4me.net/essay-writing-service/.

Thanks in advance!

Gareth
I read "Dear Coffee Buyer" by Ryan Braun

I took a week to finish this book because I was enjoying so much that I don't want to finish quick and also want to soak it up as much as possible :).

Very very nicely present your sourcing green coffee journey with the illustrations made on book are also so great.

I highly recommend this book if someone wants to know about sourcing green coffee.

I was recently told that it can be found online for free

Last edited:

steffi

Sep 24, 2019
Visit site
The World Atlas of Coffee by James Hoffman/ Author James Hoffman charts key characteristics and production methods from Bolivia to Guatemala, to Zambia, and beyond, reaching more than 36 countries.