Good grinder is so important!

rah

May 23, 2004
Anaheim, CA
Visit site
This thread is for anyone who is considering making espresso at home. I have owned several machines most of them Krups and the last 3 have been a pump style. I use my machine every morning to make a 20oz. latte coffee and pretty much have it down to a science for how I like it. I use Diedrich Wiener Melange beans and steamed half and half milk.

Now the most important part comes after burning the pump out on my brand new Novo 3000 that replaced a burned out Novo 2000 machine. Just bought it in Jan. 2004 and the pump burned out in Apr. 2004. Sent the machine in for repair to Krups and started researching other machines in case this is a trend. I found out by reading on this and other forums that this was my fault and not either of these machines. I have been using a blade grinder to grind my beans. To get the strength of the coffee where I like it I would fill the grind chamber and grind for about 30 seconds. I was not aware of burning the beans and more important the powder I was trying to make good espresso with. My machine would at times labor to make a shot and would take anywhere from 10-20 minutes to pull a shot. I just thought the pump was too weak to do any better. After doing a lot of reading I bought a Solis Maestro grinder before the repaired machine was returned.

Got the Novo 3000 back and began experimenting with the new grinder. OMG, what a difference properly ground beans makes. Not only did the machine only take around 1 minute or less to pull a shot but I also now get crema which I almost never got before. The espresso tastes better, is much hotter, has crema and has saved me a great deal of time every morning to make my favorite drink.

Lesson learned, do lots of research before trying to make espresso at home.

sumocomputers

Feb 21, 2004
Visit site
I just want to agree with you.

I just purchased a Baratza Solis Maestro Plus a few months ago. I love it. I mostly use it for drip now, but have had an espresso machine in the past, and I know how hard it was to make a decent espresso without a good grinder.

Anyone out there who wants to do it right, without spending more than $300, check out the Solis Maestro Plus ($150) or the Rancilio Rocky ($300). The Rocky is better suited for espresso, as it has a doser, although the Solis will do a good job also. You can spend more, but the general consensus is that these two are the grinders to have for the home user on a budget.

Check out www.coffeegeek.com, and click consumer reviews before purchasing anything. It has helped me avoid bad designs, and be prepared for certain quirks in otherwise great products.

pillguy

Jun 17, 2004
Houston, TX
Visit site
rah,

Most every espresso brewer has run down the same road as you, and learned the hard way. It is great you are making espresso once again, but I would like to challenge you to perfect your technique. The truth is, just about any espresso machine can pull a decent shot with a good grinder. The grind should be a little finer than granular sugar, and the tamp about 30lbs of pressure. If you have a non-pressurized portafilter, then the tamp may not be as crucial. For a good frame of reference, visit www.wholelattelove.com and look for the golden rule. That will give you a good idea of proper timing and consistency of a good shot. You have just begun your journey!