Green beans storage

RobertD

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey everyone, i''m rob, nice forum. I have a query i was hoping to get some help with. I recently purchased some green beans off the internet for the first time and i''m unsure as to how to store them. I was told by the company that the beans should be stored in a bag where they''re able to ''breathe'' (e.g. one made out of cotton-like material). But i have also seen people store their green beans in sealed containers, so i''m assuming that another school of thought has it that green beans should not be exposed to a lot of oxygen.

I have a lot of green beans at home right now so i''d really like to know the correct way to store them so they don''t spoil. Apparently they''re OK for up to a year if stored properly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob

RobertD

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Really? Is that how they're usually stored? It sounds complicated and i also don't think i have enough room in my freezer for that. :grin:

lachris

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Visit site
Please be sure to read the Terroir article closely - it says "...DEEP FREEZE...hermetically sealed..." I don't think any residential freezer will produce the temps they are using. Besides, most homeroasters are not seeking to store beans for that long. IMHO.

I would store them in an area with stable temps and humidity, out of direct light. My way - not the way! I'm new at this but seems like that way to go.

lachris

JohnB

May 30, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
RobertD said:
Really? Is that how they're usually stored? It sounds complicated and i also don't think i have enough room in my freezer for that. :grin:

This would be the "ideal" way but obviously not everyone can do it. If you read the article & others on his site he is a huge proponent of vacuum bagging & now insists that all his suppliers v/b the green beans they ship him.

As far as freezing goes he does have a much better freezer then most of us. I store my fresh roasted beans in an upright freezer set to 0*F. George's unit is probably set to -20*F or colder. Still 0*F is a heck of a lot better then the corner of a room that may hit 80* or higher in the summer.

Even if you can't freeze them most of us can afford a home vacuum unit like the Foodsaver. I can't say how much of their freshness the beans will lose sitting around for a year but George seems to think they lose quite a bit just traveling from the farm to him.

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
green beans

If you store your beans out of sunlight in a dry place and allow air to get to them they would probably be fine. JohnB, how do you keep coffee around to freeze it. I drink all of mine up right away. Lol.

RobertD

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
If you store your beans out of sunlight in a dry place and allow air to get to them they would probably be fine.

Do you think the keeping them in the paper bag that they came in is ok in terms of letting in air?

RobertD

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, my ones are like brown grocery paper bags but thicker. They're also folded over quite well. You reckon that sounds OK?