Green Coffee Prices!

coughyroasting

Jun 26, 2009
Florida
Visit site
Can someone please help and let me know if I'm getting mislead on prices for green Colombian Supremo. I've received pricing from 2.25 to 2.60 per pound (not even delivered). These are for about one pallet (10 bag) quantities. Is there something someone could suggest to help get me into the 1.50 - 1.80 range with similar characteristics?

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.

pbmac

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
That's petty decent pricing....I haven't looked at Columbian Supremo specifically - but those are good prices. I am not sure you can get into the lower price range and still get anything really worth roasting.

Perhaps others have differing opinions....

pbmac

coughyroasting

Jun 26, 2009
Florida
Visit site
Thanks for the insight pbmac. I'd love to hear what others have to say on this matter as well. Also, does anyone else ship down the east coast? I'm also trying to make sure I get a decent LTL price on shipping approximately 1 pallet. It's probably going to be around 1500 lbs.

Thanks

I am no expert on Colombian, but if similar to other origins, the prices per lk/kg can swing wildly. Stephen Leighton has some interesting comments on his TamperTantrum video about the seperation of Specialty coffee origin prices from the C Index. Generally the spec coffee differential can be 10-30% over the NYBOT pricing mechanism. I do not argue pricing with my farmers- we work out a fair pricing and generally pay US$2.20-US$3.00/lb depending on origin etc. I would say the prices quoted are fine- but obviously you have cupped the samples.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
I am paying in the upper end of that range for Colombian.

I was in Colombia (Armenia, Manizales) last year looking around. Alot of farms were for sale as the farmers could not afford to farm anymore. The cost of inputs was simply too high. That plus effects of nature has given us the current situation.

coughyroasting

Jun 26, 2009
Florida
Visit site
Yeah, I had a sinking feeling about the prices the more research I began doing. It's a shame about the farms. Quality seems to come from these smaller farms that are having a harder and harder time surviving every year.

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
I had heard similar news out of Colombia. That price range is consistent with what I paid recently. Dang...if Colombia weren't such a dangerous country I'd be tempted to buy a farm down there. But with the widespread corruption, violence and threats I'd hate to buy the farm and the buy the farm!