Grind Size / Sieve

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I recently rebuilt a Bunn G3 - I 'calibrated' it appropriately to Bunn's instruction but I started thinking about grind size and the accuracy of my grinders. How does one 'test' to make sure that when your on the 'drip' setting its actually grinding the coffee for drip? We have tools to measure weight / volume / TDS / roast color... but what is the testing device for ground coffee? Sieve's? If so - is there any guidance on what size particles = X type of brewing method. I can't seem to find anything on SCAA's website. Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I have seen that... and may drop for it... far cheaper that some of the sieve screens on the market (although much smaller). However, has anyone seen any type of chart that says for example - drip should be 50% grinds at X micron screen. That's what seems to be missing - some type of industry standard for grind size particles.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Qclabequipment has a sieve chart. We use the following sequence. 12,16,18,20 and 50

Are you talking about mesh sizes or microns? I found this site.

They sell SS mesh in various micron sizes, in 6x6 & 12x12 (inch) sizes.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Mesh To Micron Comparison Chart
We don't stock all of the micron sizes listed on the chart below. It's just for reference.
micronratings.jpg
[/SIZE][/FONT]