Grinder Help

matthoover

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi all - again...

Now it's grinders. It seems now that I'm confused with what I need. Please correct me.

1. Portion control grinder - grinders beans from hopper directly into brew basket
2. Bulk Grinder - to grind fresh beans into bags to sell direct to customer
3. Espresso Grinder - obviously for espresso.

Now, for decaf, I'm told I need a separate espresso decaf grinder, but not a separate coffee grinder for decaf. Is that correct?

To better clarify, I'm looking to buy the following equipment and need to know if I'm missing something:

1. Fetco CBS-52H 1.5 gallon dual brewing system
2. Fetco GR2.2 Dual Hopper Grinder
3. Nuova Simonelli Aurelia 2-group espresso machine
4. Nuova Simonelli MDX espresso grinder (2)

I can get my hands on a refurbished Bunn G2 bulk grinder if I absolutely need it.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track!

Thanks,

Matt

tletourneau

Sep 9, 2008
MN
Visit site
Hi Matt,

Looks OK to me.

Generally when I'm done grinding with the bulk grinder I just wipe off the little bit of residual grounds so you have very little "contamination" between the grinds.

matthoover

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply - some confirmation is all I needed! Appreciate it!

Now it's whether or not to offer decaf or not while just starting out.....which means I'll need to buy another espresso grinder.

ElPugDiablo

matthoover said:
1. Portion control grinder - grinders beans from hopper directly into brew basket
I would think you'd be better off buying a digital scale and portion control yourself instead of portion control grinder. I also don't think you need a dual hopper grinder, unless you want to offer flavored coffee in which case one side is for regular caffeinated and decaf, and the other side is for flavored coffee. Lastly, I think there are better alternative to Nuova Simonelli MDX. You might want to consider Mazzer Super Jolly as your regular espresso grinder and Mazzer mini for your decaf espresso.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
matthoover said:
I would think you'd be better off buying a digital scale and portion control yourself instead of portion control grinder. I also don't think you need a dual hopper grinder, unless you want to offer flavored coffee in which case one side is for regular caffeinated and decaf, and the other side is for flavored coffee. Lastly, I think there are better alternative to Nuova Simonelli MDX. You might want to consider Mazzer Super Jolly as your regular espresso grinder and Mazzer mini for your decaf espresso.

I don't know that MDX is on par with a Mazzer. That nob is an infinite adjustment just as the collar is for the Mazzer. In my book there's not much that sets a MDX apart from a Mazzer other the name Mazzer has made for itself.

As for that GR2.2 I wouldn't add any flavored coffee to it. Even though the unit will grind out all the coffee you'll still taint the grinding chamber with the flavored coffee oils. Now I have seen people go out and buy extra hoppers to hold multiple coffee's. This way they can just swap out coffee's on the fly.

ElPugDiablo

CCafe said:
ElPugDiablo said:
matthoover said:

I don't know that MDX is on par with a Mazzer. That nob is an infinite adjustment just as the collar is for the Mazzer. In my book there's not much that sets a MDX apart from a Mazzer other the name Mazzer has made for itself.

As for that GR2.2 I wouldn't add any flavored coffee to it. Even though the unit will grind out all the coffee you'll still taint the grinding chamber with the flavored coffee oils. Now I have seen people go out and buy extra hoppers to hold multiple coffee's. This way they can just swap out coffee's on the fly.
You are right about flavored coffee in dual hopper is a bad idea. I must need coffee when I wrote that.

I actually like MDX's nob adjustment more than Mazzer's collar adjustment. My main grip with MDX is that it traps about 12 grams coffee in between the burrs and the doser, so unless there is constant usage the espresso shot is made with old coffee.