ground coffee storage?

konacoffee

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
I buy Hawaiian ground coffee direct from Hawaii. I think I''m storing it wrong :shock:
I''ve been keeping it in the fridge. I read one post that says to store coffee in a cubboard. Does the same go for whole beans and ground beans??

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Coffee is not meant to be "stored" and certainly not pre-ground. Ugh!
Your precious Kona should be consumed within 10 days to 2 weeks after roasting... max of 3 weeks, and that's really pushing it.
Store it in a cool, dry place away from sunlight... other than that, enjoy your coffee---fresh. :)

konacoffee

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
John P said:
Coffee is not meant to be "stored" and certainly not pre-ground. Ugh!
Your precious Kona should be consumed within 10 days to 2 weeks after roasting... max of 3 weeks, and that's really pushing it.
Store it in a cool, dry place away from sunlight... other than that, enjoy your coffee---fresh. :)

I live in SLC too. Hmm.. I'm happy with the taste of my ground coffee. Maybe I'm missing out on flavor. I'm not a "real" coffee drinker tho. I doctor it up with lots of cream and sugar. Could NEVER drink coffee black. There's no way no consume it in two weeks. Even if I got it locally, I'd never finish it in that time frame. I'm the only one who drinks it and I only have one cup a day -- in the am.
I can buy whole bean and grind it myself. If I went that route... I suppose that would be better? I could then grind as I brew.
I'd still be keeping the whole bean for quite some time. Ordering from Hawaii, it wouldn't be cost effective to only order one bag at time and pay shipping prices.
the bags are nice heavy vent type bags.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
Are you buying Kona, or a Kona blend? I can't imagine springing at least $30+, plus shipping, for decent Kona, and having it preground. This means the coffee you paid for is dead before it even gets to you.
Why in the world would you buy Kona and not drink it black? Unless it is roasted improperly, or it is brewed improperly, it should not need cream/sugar. Properly roasted, properly brewed coffee needs nothing added to it, the varietal flavors should shine in the cup. Adding cream/sugar is generally a habit formed by years of drinking substandard coffee where one NEEDS to add cream/sugar to make it palatable.
I am not certain where you get your Kona from, but I would recommend this farm, they rock!
http://www.smithfarms.com/

Your idea of whole bean first, and then grinding would be much better. It will enhance the taste of your coffee tremendously. Make sure you use a burr grinder, the whirlybird grinders won't cut it. The valve bags can help extend life of whole beans a bit, but degassed coffee is degassed coffee.

Hoping for you to have the best coffee experience possible.
Best of Luck, and happy coffee-ing!

Craiger

Mar 4, 2007
Brighton, Illinois
Visit site
John P said:
Why in the world would you buy Kona and not drink it black? Unless it is roasted improperly, or it is brewed improperly, it should not need cream/sugar. Properly roasted, properly brewed coffee needs nothing added to it, the varietal flavors should shine in the cup.

Interesting. You have peaked my curiosity. I'd love to try a "good" cup of Kona without my beloved cream and sugar to see how it tastes. This could bery well be one of the beans I order next.

Adding cream/sugar is generally a habit formed by years of drinking substandard coffee where one NEEDS to add cream/sugar to make it palatable.

Unfortunately, this describes most of my personal coffee experiences over many years. I've settled for stale without knowing it....and have added my cream and sugar thinking all has been fine. I'm wanting to take my coffee experience to the next level....and proper storage looks to be the key.

This forum is very helpful. Thanks!

konacoffee

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
Nope - that's just me. I like very sweet, creamy coffee. My friends say to me, "then why drink coffee??" My answer, "that's just me." I don't like ANYTHING that's not sweet.
I get my coffee from ABC stores out of Hawaii. Probably not the best but it's very mild and I really like that.
The worst coffee I have ever tasted even with TONS of cream and sugar is star bucks!! I took a sip, rolled down the window and spit it out FAST. It was disgusting.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
you've never had good coffee then.

Starbucks doesn't qualify as coffee.

And is it 100% Kona or a blend? Just wondering if ABC is screwing you.
How about injecting caffeine straight into your vein, and sucking on a piece of coffee candy. :D