Grow your own coffee

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried to grow coffee at home, and what results you got? As I've seen a kit for growing coffee where I normally buy my beans. For those of you who dont know, I'm in England i.e. cold and wet :cry: . So I was thinking of trying it in a greenhouse, where I could control the temperature. Am I flogging a dead horse here or could I be pleasently surprised. I think the beans are Arabica rather than Robusta which may make them a bit more picky. Any suggestions?

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
I've considered it in the past (I love putting my garden to good use) but decided that the requirements of climate and such like would make it a poor investment. I'll be interested to hear how you get on if you do pursue it though, or if any other UK people have made it work.

Wulf

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have known people who have grown the trees as a novelty...Arabica coffee is grown at altitudes over 3,000 feet....You might get flowers but I do not think you will get cherries :cry:

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
I reckon this has got to be worth a go. I read somewhere that the bushes may not give any cherries for about 5 years, or if Topher's right then may be not ever. Robusta are grown at a lower altitude but I've tried single roast robusta before, and I'd rather not bother than try that again. If by some minor miracle I get some cherries on this thing how many do you guys think a 6 foot bush would produce in a year? Would it be enough to fit in to a cafe rosto (imex) roaster or popper for roasting? Presuming I can coax this thing through 5 years worth of frost, snow and rain.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Well you can try...but you need a moderate tropical surrounding...one tree will produce a whopping pound of coffee..it takes 3-4 years to produce the first crop....good luck

Quink

Feb 11, 2004
Bristol UK
Visit site
Well even if I dont get anything but flowers, it could be a nice talking point, or something else for the wife to accuse me of being obsessed with coffee with.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
hahaha...nice...before I got my sample roaster I would roast coffee in a skillet on the stove...not fun! You have to constantly keep the coffee moving....I have smoked out my house many a time and also have ruined all the skillets in the house...oh yeah my wife must truly love me!