guess I am a barista again

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Is it just me or is this not right? I went to a coffee shop the other day and ordered a cup of coffee. I paid the $1.78 and threw 50 cents + change from the $2.00 I paid with. He thanks me and hands me a cup...an empty cup. I said, "excuse me where is my coffee?" He tells me that the coffee is at the end of the counter and that you get it yourself. So I paid $ 2.50 to get my own coffee. I asked him what that was about and he says its their new set up..that its what is a new trend from out west. I am glad I didn't ask for a smoothie...I would have made a huge mess!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Now you know why your old man was pissed off with when he was told that your momma would have to go make her own salad in the late 60's!

It's pretty common place here in the Midwest. The only real problem that it creates is customer theft. When you get busy it can be hard to watch over the pots.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
what about liability if someone spills it while pouring? I have always felt you are paying for the service as well as the product...

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
It won't move to my store. People have suggested that we do it to speed up the process, but we aren't a Wawa. KWIM?

To me, I want customers to have a special experience. And, IMHO, there is nothing special about getting your own coffee.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
topher said:
what about liability if someone spills it while pouring? I have always felt you are paying for the service as well as the product...

Make sure the Hot Liquid sticker is placed on the container or have a sign. Either way it doesn't really matter. I've heard of one case where a person was stupid enough to put their hand under the spout. But it was thrown out as the Judge basically told him common sense would prevail in that case. Your pouring a hot liquid in to a cup if you put your hand underneath of it hand and burn yourself its your own fault.

BaristaTrainer

Oct 18, 2004
Portland, OR
Visit site
a lot of cafes here in Portland serve their coffee this way (including Stumptown and the Albina Press). their coffee is always fresh, and rotated every 10-20 minutes. personally, i don't mind being the one to fill up the cup, so that if I want room from cream I am not dumping out coffee each time.

it is often faster for those who want drip coffee to get it an go, instead of being in queue with everyone else.

i understand the idea of service of course, but sometimes convenience is equally important, and let those baristas spend the extra few seconds focusing on the espresso beverages. :)

my 2 cents

- matt

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I just paid for an empty mug at the local Panera Bread shop. They had a variety of blends, decaf, flavored, etc. in self serve airpots.

Though the coffee wasn't that great, I went back for a free refill. :wink:
Hey, it made up for the horrible muffin I had to throw away!

Josh

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
That's how "it's a grind" does it. Personally I don't like the idea for a few reasons.

It isn't personal at all. Might as well be at the self serve soda/tea station.

The question of freshness, it's a grind has several varieties, that I know for fact (at least out here) don't get rotated often or ever.

COGS. My place isn't open yet but I'm already looking at drip coffee as a huge sink. 55-60grams per liter, that’s only 34ish ounces, or two 16oz cups of coffee. With 453.6 grams in a pound of coffee, that isn't so great considering how much can potential go down the drain. (after expiration time). Our coffee beans aren't what I would consider cheap either.
(please correct me if my calculations are suck)

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As mentioned, I don't like the airpot/self-serv idea.

~58 g per liter is about right (give or take a few), so your numbers are right.

Whether it's coffee, tea, espresso, etc. everything we do is by the cup. If you DO choose to go the plenti-o-brew route, it wholly depends on your traffic if airpots, carafe, what have you will result in a lot of waste or not. You can easily adjust how much you brew to account for your traffic patterns.
Some of the busier places have a hard time keeping enough brewed during their hectic morning rushes. A lot depends on where you are at and what you want to do.

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
I experienced the same thing here in my side of the world, but I was in a convenience store..so it was expected.

But in a coffee shop??

None of that concept here yet. Hopefully, the practice doesn't move towards this way. I still want to be served coffee whenever I am in a coffee shop.

:roll: