half way there

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
so my pipe is installed. after roasting several hours, it is cool to the touch. head fire honcho says "36 inches from all surfaces!!. pipe is rated for 2" from combustable surfaces. . ah, well, we do want to be protected from ourselves, right?

the plumber says he will take care of permits etc. I hope so.

sdcoffeeroaster

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
debbiej said:
so my pipe is installed. after roasting several hours, it is cool to the touch. head fire honcho says "36 inches from all surfaces!!. pipe is rated for 2" from combustable surfaces. . ah, well, we do want to be protected from ourselves, right?

the plumber says he will take care of permits etc. I hope so.

36"!!! How do you exit the structure, thru an open double door, lol.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
let me splain. he was talking about the roaster. and the vertical pipe as "part" of the roaster. I think someone told him about chaff fire. so according to him, every "part" of the roaster...motors, where the pipe exits the roaster, etc, has to be 36" from all surfaces. at first, he said from combustible surfaces. now he has changed his requirements to all surfaces. the pipe penetration through the roof has to have the proper insulation shield. what I'm having a problem with now is how to safely support the bottom of this heavy pipe. the elbow sure can't, and the roof support seems inadequate.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Selkirk has a 2 piece support plate that they suggest placing between the "T" and first pipe. Although you could place it higher.
your pipe salesman and /or installer should have know this and said you needed one.[attachment=0:33kuth11]Pipe Stand2.jpg[/attachment:33kuth11]

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
hmmm. I specifically ask the selkirk rep if there was a support such as that. he suggested the roof support and having one fabricated. I'll call him again and ask about that support plate. it is exactly what the stack needs. does it come with the legs? Also, looking again at the picture, I can't tell where your pipe enlarges from 4" to 6". is it within the pipe? thanks again

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
The roaster has a 4" outlet and I purchase the 4 to 6 adapter. There is 2" of insulation around the elbow and T. After the support bracket it goes down to 1" of insulation.
The bracket does not come with a stand you have to fabricate one. Doesn't need much to support it.
The part description from Selkirk "PA Assembly" = plate support assembly.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the answers. we found a supporting collar with threaded studs. we made legs from angle iron. then used a similar supporting collar up on the roof. it is pretty stable. we'll see if the state mechanical inspector approves. I'm still waiting for the gas line to be run, but at least can roast inside after hours with a pipe that goes through the roof instead of out the door or window.