Has anyone added wine bar to their coffee shop?

kb0wwp

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
We're considering adding a wine bar to our coffee shop. It would be a huge change for us, so I'd like to hear from others that have done it in the past.

We have a brew pub next door, and often hear from people that don't like beer (here in our area, brew pubs can only sell beer brewed on premises, and nothing else.) We thought that might provide an option for people that would prefer wine.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
We're considering adding a wine bar to our coffee shop. It would be a huge change for us, so I'd like to hear from others that have done it in the past.

We have a brew pub next door, and often hear from people that don't like beer (here in our area, brew pubs can only sell beer brewed on premises, and nothing else.) We thought that might provide an option for people that would prefer wine.

Right now, is your coffee shop thriving or failing? Why do you want to provide an option for people who prefer wine? Are you looking to keep your coffee shop open later hours to draw in some extra business?

kb0wwp

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Right now, is your coffee shop thriving or failing? Why do you want to provide an option for people who prefer wine? Are you looking to keep your coffee shop open later hours to draw in some extra business?

We are not making money but that's ok since that was not the intention. The coffee shop is part of a nonprofit with the mission of creating connections between cultures and assisting the new immigrant population with language skills and cultural integration.

We're just looking for reasons to increase the amount of business and people through the doors. The coffee business is pretty much dead after 5:00 pm. There was a coffee shop in our location 10 years ago that served wine. While it wasn't a huge hit, it was also before the brew pub was open next door.

It would be only wine, since a wine license in our community is fairly inexpensive. Adding liqueurs would require a full alcohol license which is expensive and adds several layers of regulations.

davebobo

Apr 20, 2021
Visit site
We are not making money but that's ok since that was not the intention. The coffee shop is part of a nonprofit with the mission of creating connections between cultures and assisting the new immigrant population with language skills and cultural integration.

We're just looking for reasons to increase the amount of business and people through the doors. The coffee business is pretty much dead after 5:00 pm. There was a coffee shop in our location 10 years ago that served wine. While it wasn't a huge hit, it was also before the brew pub was open next door.

It would be only wine, since a wine license in our community is fairly inexpensive. Adding liqueurs would require a full alcohol license which is expensive and adds several layers of regulations.

yeah, I do agree with @feeble that coffee shops only offer coffee. But when you look at it from a commercial point of view, it might play an important role in expanding your business (I think). although there are some disadvantages to consider which you are already aware of I guess. or you can start a little and see how it actually works, then you will choose from there, if you want to proceed or not. you can even get discounts on orders from here; https://newbiedeals.com/wine-welcome-offers/ . But I'm more on the side that you stick to just your coffee only just like @feeble said. what you just need to do is weigh the pros and cons and go with whatever your mind sticks with and you'll be fine I guess.

Last edited: