Has anyone tried coffee from J. Martinez & Company?

tnj606

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
I am interested in "estate" coffee. Has anyone tried here before? I just bought 2lb of it. I hope it wil be good to taste.

tnj606

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
my review

It was okay. It had very good aroma. I really like ones with strong flavor and this was very mild. It tasted too subtle for me. It was good but just did not suit my preference.

Many estate coffees are going to be lighter roasted because there are special attributes of the coffees they don't want to mask with dark roasting.

There are some estate coffees darker roasted. But at that point, you're gradually tasting more of the craft of the roaster than the beans.

Look for a high end roaster who has estate coffees rather than start with an estate.

Good luck. Let us know if you find something you really like.

-James

Many estate coffees are going to be lighter roasted because there are special attributes of the coffees they don't want to mask with dark roasting.

There are some estate coffees darker roasted. But at that point, you're gradually tasting more of the craft of the roaster than the beans.

Look for a high end roaster who has estate coffees rather than start with an estate.

Good luck. Let us know if you find something you really like.

-James

MrJim

Jun 14, 2005
Hayward, WI
Visit site
As a roaster I have bought many pounds of JBM from John Martinez (both jr & sr) and always found the cup to be as good as Jamaican gets. John sr is an expat from Jamaica and knows the coffee there well. He also understands the difference good preparation makes in the final cup. I was lucky enough to speak at sintercafe on a panel with him to an international gathering of coffee people and found him extremely knowledgable and quality conscious.