Hello! Good coffee newbie!

Esola2012

Jan 26, 2022
Pittsburgh, pa
Visit site
Hello! I am new to the non Maxwell coffee world. I got a subscription from Trade coffee to further indulge my love for coffee.
One question I have is about brewing in my Aeropress go. I bought this for camping trips primarily, but I have heard that brews a pretty good cup of joe at home. What is the best way for me to go about Brewing my 12 or so oz of coffee in the morning with this? Or do I just bite the bullet and make the 5 oz with the recommended amount of coffee?

I want to enjoy a good cup of coffee in the morning, but I also don't want to go through tons of coffee every week.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I don't know if your two goals conflict that much, but I know for me, I will always go for great taste even if I go through more coffee. I do 30 oz of water for 50 g of beans, making about 5 cups of 6 oz each. I drink in mugs so I get two or three large mugs of coffee for my dose of 50 g of beans. If that is tons of coffee every week, so be it. You can't have your coffee and drink it too. :)

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The Aeropress is only good, up to 7-8 ounces. You would need a different brewer without making it twice for your needs. My recommendation is to check out / purchase a Clever brewer ... 2nd best is a French Press.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I don't know if your two goals conflict that much, but I know for me, I will always go for great taste even if I go through more coffee. I do 30 oz of water for 50 g of beans, making about 5 cups of 6 oz each. I drink in mugs so I get two or three large mugs of coffee for my dose of 50 g of beans. If that is tons of coffee every week, so be it. You can't have your coffee and drink it too. :)
Whoa... I use around 2.5 oz of water for 50 grams of coffee... #EspressoDominationBwahaha

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
That is for pour over and for drip machines, and even french press. Ratios are different for other methods. Espresso and espresso type methods of brewing like about a 2 to one ratio of water to coffee.

My pour over of 30 oz is about 850 g. So that is roughly 17 to one water to coffee

Your example of 2.5 oz is about 71 g, for a ratio of 71/50, or 1.4 to one water to coffee. So that is ok perhaps for an espresso type preparation.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
That is for pour over and for drip machines, and even french press. Ratios are different for other methods. Espresso and espresso type methods of brewing like about a 2 to one ratio of water to coffee.

My pour over of 30 oz is about 850 g. So that is roughly 17 to one water to coffee

Your example of 2.5 oz is about 71 g, for a ratio of 71/50, or 1.4 to one water to coffee. So that is ok perhaps for an espresso type preparation.
Obviously as I was being a bit sarcastic. Even a 2:1 for espresso is just too weak for my taste. Currently dialing in for maybe 20 grams output in 70 seconds, what I term insane ristretto'ism... even though I rarely weigh output and rely on senses far more than numbers...

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I rely on weight measurement (can you tell). I do not trust my eyes.

I have not gotten into the time thing, though I know it is a thing. Likely more important with espresso. I find if I have nailed the grind, and do the pour over with care, I get time numbers in line with what people say. And I am not sure that time is sufficiently consistent metric in pour over - as it depends so much on if you tamp down the grounds consistently, the shape of the cone, the size of the opening, etc.

I determined the grind setting by trial and error. It took a while, but once I got it I got it. I make the grind coarser for darker roasts but I have it dialed in for medium and light roasts.

Last edited:

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I rely on weight measurement (an you tell). I do not trust my eyes.

I have not gotten into the time thing, though I know it is a thing. Likely more important with espresso. I find if I have nailed the grind, and do the pour over with carefully, I get time numbers in line with what people say. And I am not sure that time is sufficiently consistent metric in pour over - as it depends so much on if you tamp down the grounds consistently, the shape of the cone, the size of the opening, etc.

I determined the grind setting by trial and error. It took a while, but once I got it I got it. I make the grind coarser for darker roasts but I have it dialed in for medium and light roasts.
For yrs people have gone by time, volume and recently weight for espresso, but I have never relied on any of those. Glancing at a measurement periodically is fine, but a scale will never match my sight, taste, smell, etc. Some clearly have to rely on total measurement for consistency, just not me. Only thing I will weigh is the dry dose as a few tenths of a gram +/- can cause a good bit of change.

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Well it is quite the opposite for me. Measurement is everything. My sight, taste, smell are all inconsistent. That doesn't mean I go for "correct measurement" over "great taste", but more I want to know, empirically, what I did right.

When I work on my truck I always look up the settings, not willing to trust my memory.

BRC

Nov 2, 2023
USA
Visit site
Hi all!

Just found these forums and am glad I did - I'm currently thinking about how I might "upgrade" my current morning coffee routine. I'll be perusing the forums for some information and post if I still have individual questions so that I don't duplicate threads.

Cheers!

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
Welcome BRC. I think you will have all the information you need, and more. It won't be a problem of getting information, but of sorting through all the information you get. :) But the reward is great coffee.