hello im new

r4byy

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
hello all. :grin:

just wondered if anyone knows what make etc mcdonalds coffee makers were?

can you buy them? :oops:

cheers people

McDonalds is a franchise system. There might not be a single supplier. But I'm curous - why would you want to hold them up as a standard? Is it a capacity issue with brewing? 'cuz their coffee isn't that good.

That's one of the reasons they are experimenting with their McCafe or whatever they are calling it - to compete with Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts because they have seen a lot of people walk into their stores holding green mermaid cups and they want those dollars for themselves.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
Curtis

They are using curtis models here in CA. I have family that has owned stores in the past and much of their equipment is curtis.

The McCafe has so far been a flop for them...or at least was last I heard...I think they are seeing Starbucks as an issue...aren't we all.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
A long time ago McD's coffee wasn't too bad, but some little old lady had to spill it down her front. Now McDonalds brews there coffee at 180 degrees so by the time it hits the coffee pot its already pushing 165 to 170. This is why their coffee sucks. It’s missing the mark by a good 20 to 25 degrees!

But remember the original post, by r4byy. It was about coffee equipment and not flamming McDonalds coffee!

I'm very clear about the original question. The reason to pick equipment is capacity, convenience, cost, reliability, MTBF or it could possibly be some misunderstanding about the coffee itself.

McDonalds pays about $1.50 a lb for coffee. You get what they pay for. It isn't great coffee.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
It may be $1.50 but how many truckloads did they buy to get that price! The last time I checked everything down to the little salt packets are shipped by McDonalds Corp. The stores may be franchised and the operator can pick and choose equipment, but they are stuck with what corporate ships them for food based supplies.

It's like any good business, the coffee may have been more expensive but they bought a bigger quantity to get a better price break. In 2004 they had 31,561 stores through out the world. I bet they get a better price break then Starbucks can get on supplies.

So before you go saying their coffee cost a $1.50 figure out how much it would cost you before they bought it in quantity!

As for your statement: “I'm very clear about the original question. The reason to pick equipment is capacity, convenience, cost, reliability, MTBF or it could possibly be some misunderstanding about the coffee itself.â€

Mean Time Between Failures is not specificaly electronics. I've seen it in a lot of warranty work in industries including white goods (consumer appliances).

Quality is a subjective experience. My grandmother likes her Folgers crystals and there is no telling her is isn't a great cup of coffee. So whatever. Enjoy your McDonalds coffee.