Help, all the coffee I make sucks!

Steenway45

Aug 19, 2015
Carbondale, CO
Visit site
Hi Ron,
I too struggle brewing my own java that is delicious and satisfying. I often wonder if that elusive cup exists or is just imaginary. But all these tips are a solid place b/c I think you need to consider just one variable in your "perfect cup" then understand why you like/dislike it. Coffee is such a personal beverage, I'm amazed more people don't send it back at restaurants, you know? Keep fighting the good fight.

RonGoode

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Im not giving up

Hi Ron,
I too struggle brewing my own java that is delicious and satisfying. I often wonder if that elusive cup exists or is just imaginary. But all these tips are a solid place b/c I think you need to consider just one variable in your "perfect cup" then understand why you like/dislike it. Coffee is such a personal beverage, I'm amazed more people don't send it back at restaurants, you know? Keep fighting the good fight.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
So I'm ready to stop drinking coffee. And I like coffee.
But, I rarely enjoy coffee. I've tried cheap grocery store beans and local high end beans. I use filtered water. I've tried an automatic drip, a moka pot, French press, and percolator. Light roasts to dark roasts.
The only thing consistent is my disappointment. I rarely drink more than a cup and never finish it.
The best, most pleasing coffee I have had has been Caribou brand espresso, equal parts espresso and hot water, with cream and sugar. But that is not readily available to me. Sometimes I enjoy gas station coffee or Waffle House coffee and I never like Starbucks. If that tells you anything about me ;)

is is there any hope for me? I'd like to continue drinking coffee.

Ron, It sounds like ur a hot mess! ;)

It actually sounds like you don't, like coffee. Me, I don't, like coffee. But I drink coffee at least 1-2 times each day. What I like is the flavor that coffee adds to steamed milk and chocolate syrup. Therefore I have a what is considered by snobs an inadequate espresso maker. A DeLonghi EC155 which can be found for a reasonable price on Amazon.com. Also to my surprised and in a pinch I use a stove top like, http://www.amazon.com/VonShef-Itali...=1449934877&sr=8-4&keywords=stovetop+espresso.

And people, please stop cutting Starbucks, Starbucks has a large selection of coffee's and unless your a snob that grows their own beans and milks their own cow for each cup of coffee, and has to have a $1000 bean grinder and $50,000 coffee maker, you should be able to find a variety that suites you at a reasonable cost.

RonGoode

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I don't. I definitely like all the other flavors but I wonder if I just don't know any better.
Since my original post I've moved from a percolator to another coffee maker. The first few times I used it I thought it was really good but now I'm back to not enjoying coffee.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Years ago I actually made a good cup of coffee with a stove perc. The thing is you need to use good coffee beans ground fine and perc for a shorter period of time than conventionally thought soas to not overcook it. The perc sound did bring back some memories of when I was a kid and pop was perking the coffee for a Sunday breakfast.

Len