Help: how to set grinder for 20sec shot

CoffeeMac

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello
I would like to ask for help in setting the right grind for my client (a cafe using 24lb of beans pw). I have lent them a Ceado E6 to use for my coffee (as its only for the trial period I thought it will have sufficient capacity) but staff refused to use my coffee as it took about 35/40 sec to pull a double shot (espresso machine -Sanremo fully Auto). I came back to re-set the grinder made it a bit courser and it pulls now at 21/24 sec per double shot. I have noticed that the grind comes out in lumps which suggests it is too fine, but if I set it on even higher dial it runs through like water. My blend is PNG/Colombian at different roast levels roasted in a Solar. My problem is that the staff are used to Single shot at 8-11sec and double at 14-18sec on their existing grinder with their suppliers' coffee so my coffee is slowing them down. I know this isn't the right time for a good shot but should I go along with it or try to re-educate them? (which imho won't work as they have another cafe next door and if customers need to wait too long they'll go there, hence the pressure for a quick turn around). Any suggestions please?
Many thanks for looking at my post :coffee1:

P.s. fitted Ceado with brand new blades last week.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Last time I checked..the industry standard by the SCAA is 25 to 30 seconds per shot. If they are used to 8 second shots its garbage...or a super auto(which to me is garbage as well) You also need them to learn how to set the grinder themselves. The grind will change with humidity change. I think you need to do a tasted test with the manager and show the difference between an 8 second shot and a 25 second shot. Good luck!

CoffeeMac

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Thank you topher...as always willing to share your knowledge, it is much appreciated. When I went there to give the staff a little training session on the Ceado, three out of the four girls said they hated coffee and won't even try it at which point I realized this is gona be a tough one... :-(

JohnD18

Jan 5, 2015
New York
Visit site
This shop sounds ridiculous. I have a client who was pulling 10 sec shots and when I properly cleaned and dialed in the grinder he was then pulling around 25 sec shots and when he tasted the difference, thanked me. If this place thinks 30 sec is too long for an espresso shot, they're just stubborn to any change.
Good luck, curious to know what happens.