Help! I know nothing about coffee

heavybastard

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
I am doing work experience at a bar, and im being taught how to make coffee. However, i have no idea about even the simplest thing about coffee. I dont even know what a short black, long black, flat white and all those terms mean.

Does anyone know a website thta clearly states what all the difference types are?

I really want to learn the difference, i just cant find the material on the internet. I want to be a good employee

thanks for helping

Jan 22, 2005
Visit site
I am not a coffee expert, but I am a proud Australian and can help out on this one.

Long Black- This is when they use a cappacino cup and a double spout handle. They fill the cup up right to the top.

Flat White- This is like a latte but with NO foam- just heated milk (this is my fav) :lol:

Short Black- I am not sure!

makecoffee

May 17, 2006
Visit site
there are various websites out there that will teach you how to make various gourmet coffees. Because I have under 5 posts I dont think I am allowed to give any links, but they are definately out there :)

Parts Guru

Jan 1, 2005
Lansale, PA
Visit site
I am doing work experience at a bar, and im being taught how to make coffee. However, i have no idea about even the simplest thing about coffee. I dont even know what a short black, long black, flat white and all those terms mean.

Does anyone know a website thta clearly states what all the difference types are?

I really want to learn the difference, i just cant find the material on the internet. I want to be a good employee

thanks for helping

The names of coffee drinks you have referred to are local descriptions and preferences that become popular for ordering purposes. They have nothing to do with the art of making good espresso and espresso based drink.

Knowing signature names of drink is easy. You will go crazy if you follow drink terminology in Seattle.

I would rather have you focus on the quality of espresso and the art of how extracting sweet espresso. Espresso is a sweet and srong aromatic drink. Dark oily roast, powdery fine grind, 25 to 30-lb. tamping pressure, 25 to 30 seconds extraction time does not make good espresso.

Authentic coffee educational sources will not describe local names given to beverages. Specialty Coffee Association of America supplies a great source for education for standards and procedures for espresso and espresso based drinks. They deal in details the standard names of espresso based drinks, roasting, cupping and blending of coffee. Check out their web site.

Good luck