Help Identifying this Probat Roaster

Hello Everyone.

From the little I know, Probat is an excellent brand. From the pic though, the condition of this particular roaster looks anything but.
I have been told by the seller it's fixable and has asked me to make an offer. Just from this one pic, who can help me identify the model number. I am awaiting more pics. The seller is a reputable company far away from my town and doesn't seem bothered whether it sells or gathers dust. I think I can get myself a bargain.

Thoughts welcome :)

Attachments

• Probat Roaster Used.jpeg
    Probat Roaster Used.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 251

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
It's only a bargain if it isn't a liability on the business by continually breaking down. If you're in the wholesale end of the business, you may lose clients to competitors, and the cost of acquiring new business isn't worth the risk. Sorry...just had to play the know-it-all, devil's advocate. Wish you much success!

Peaberry

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Whats a steal? It looks pretty beat up and at that angle you can even see if it has motors. Make sure the drum isn't warped...looks as if it has had a few fires. Are you going to rebuild it yourself of pay someone? Last thing...I am not a fan of roasters with internal chaff collectors.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
The industry has gone to double wall drums, variable speed exhaust fans etc.
Roasters have come down in price so I guess you have to take a hard look at costs and time to refurbish versus just buying new or at least used in better condition.

I believe that Tom at Sweet Marias did the same thing and basically said he would never ever do that again and that the savings were not worth the effort

BescaRoasting

Oct 14, 2018
Michigan
Visit site
Without a look at the tag, it's pretty hard to say. It's very old though, and obviously has seen some fires. As a roaster technician myself, I would be extremely wary of buying a roaster in such shape. You will very likely spend more rebuilding the roaster than it is worth, in time as well as money.