CoffeeTec.Com

Help Identifying Type of Coffee

skb8721

Nov 9, 2022
Louisiana USA
I recently bought a cup of coffee while on vacation: it was one of the most delicious cups of coffee I've ever had.

But I don't remember what kind of coffee preparation it was!

I'm curious to see if anyone here can help identify the drink in question -- if so, I would much appreciate it.

I can tell you it was served in a very small cup, like a solo shot of espresso, but it didn't taste at all bitter like a shot of espresso; rather, it had a rich, chocolaty taste that was neither bitter nor sweet.

It did not seem to have had any cream added to the top.

In fact, it looked like the coffee in this photo, which is taken from the website of the coffee shop in question:

Can you tell me what kind of coffee drink I must have bought?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
That is espresso. Side note, Espresso shouldn't be bitter or sour. The light "cream" on top is the crema. If you are served an espresso that does not have crema but is just black you need to send it back.

OP
skb8721

skb8721

Nov 9, 2022
Louisiana USA
Thanks for your reply. I've tried a single-shot espresso recently at both Starbuck's and CC's (the latter a Louisiana chain, I believe), and both times I found the shots extremely bitter. (So bitter I did not enjoy them.)

But what I had on vacation was not bitter at all: do you think it was simply much superior expresso? (The coffee shop was in Rome -- I don't know if that had anything to do with it.)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
LOL! I bet it was bitter. Try a non chain or local roaster that isn't trying to cover up bad coffee with milk and sugar. That was not a dig at you or them. They have a market they cater to. Where are you located? Maybe someone here can suggest a local roaster for you. Lastly, everything is better on vacation!!

CoffeeTec.Com